Cichlid ID (what is this?)

Thomas ford

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2018
England
Hey there every one. I'm new here, in fact, this is what prompted me to sign up.

So I have a cichlid it's around 2 inches in length as it stands right now. I bought it with one other cichlid and was told it it was a chocolate cichlid like other cichlid I bought.

Now I know that on of them is definitely a chocolate cichlid. However I'm unconvinced the fish in question is. Hopefully some one could shed a little light on this for me. The little guy has a temper though.

Hopefully I've done this right thanks for any help.

15421339888137262567697721665103.jpg 20181113_180756.jpg

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Hey, so this may or may not be correct but I think its an Aequidens species. I think this is because tear drop shape under its eye, body shape, and that little dot and stripe down its body. Looks like a juvenile Aequidens diadema to me. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: tlindsey

Predator07

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2018
Orlando,FL
I have chocolate cichlid with polleni both are 5inch and plan on adding a few more in my 150 gallon. Possibly- Oscar /green terror/ jack Dempsey and yellow jacket cichlid. Will that work for a community tank??

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The genus aequidens holds about 16 species, and was once combined with a number of species now in Cichlasoma.
All are more or less similar in appearance.
Yours could also be one of those Cichlasoma, such as bimaculatum, very easy to get, and even found wild (feral) in Florida.
There are a dozen more species in Cichlasoma that look ver similar.
below C dimmerus

colors are variable depending on mood, substrate, breeding and hierarchy status.

Thomas ford

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2018
England
From my experience with Loki, my chocolate cichlid they are very relaxed fish. He holds his own with my oscar (who is smaller) definitely have to keep an eye on them. I don't think I would trust a green terror with one or a Dempsey. But that's just me.
There are quite gental but every fish is different. Mixing any large cichlid I would exercise caution.

Hope this helps

Thomas ford

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2018
England
And thanks every one for the help on my part it's doing fine as it stands and putting on size. It's gonna stay for a little while I think see how we go

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store