Cichlid ID (what is this?)

Thomas ford

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2018
England
So after posting this in the salt section haha

Hey there every one. I'm new here, in fact, this is what prompted me to sign up.

So I have a cichlid it's around 2 inches in length as it stands right now. I bought it with one other cichlid and was told it it was a chocolate cichlid like other cichlid I bought.

Now I know that on of them is definitely a chocolate cichlid. However I'm unconvinced the fish in question is. Hopefully some one could shed a little light on this for me. The little guy has a temper though.

Hopefully I've done this right thanks for any help.

20181113_180756.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My first impression is that it "may" be one of the true Cichlasoma species, could be bimaculatum, or portalgrensus, similar body shape and markings. Some of the Aequidens are quite similar, and both genera are readily available
I have only kept C dimurus myself and those seem less dark colored, below dimmerus

Thomas ford

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2018
England
Thanks for the reply. I have done my own research and I can get a lot of similar looking species but there's always something that suggests it isn't one of them

When I bought it it was pale whitewith the black lateral stripe only recently the colour has come through. Which I put down to stress.

To say how small it is it's definitely the boss of the tank. It takes on anything. It's not overly aggressive just seems to like it's own space.

Even the oscar is frightened of it but he's a big wuss in all fairness.

I do agree though with cichlasoma or aequidens. I just feel the more I can know about my animals the better care I can give them

Thanks for the reply

Thomas ford

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2018
England
Definitely one of the cichlasoma species, but I'm not very good at differentiating between them.
Thanks I think I'm thinking the same it may have to go before the rest of the gang grow up. I have a feeling it will end up on the smaller side. And with the other tank mates putting on weight and size like they are it would be cruel to keep it.

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Hey, so this may or may not be correct but I think its an Aequidens species. I think this is because tear drop shape under its eye, body shape, and that little dot and stripe down its body. Looks like a juvenile Aequidens diadema to me. Just my 2 cents.
^Copy & Pasted my comment from the previous thread^

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store