Cichlids vs oddballs

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Since you live in Scotland peat should be in no short supply so try your hand at a blackwater South American biotope. Pick a river system reasearch the fauna and give it a shot. That's somthing you don't see every day.

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
I've always read that gar don't do well with cichlids and that they shouldn't be mixed? Blackwater setups are nice, really set on the gar now I think. Does anyone have any nice tank mate ideas for Florida gar in a 260? Looking to plant the tank with some larger plants, add some wood and have floating plants too probably.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?109-Gars-amp-Bowfins

There is a 6 page sticky of tank mates for Gars there.

No cichlids don't mate good tank mates for Gars they will pick on the Gar. They are a laid back/docile fish.

Anything the Gars size or just a little bigger/smaller that is peaceful. Gars are like magpies also so silver is out unless it's big enough not to eat.
That's why I passed on the barracuda yesterday. He was just to small.

I'm wondering if I can grow him out with my Congo tetras though or if there would be problems?

Rich

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Thanks Rich, had a read at the thread and got some ideas. Definitely thinking of Florida gar and lima shovelnoses, not sure what else I would add yet though.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I'm with Justin best of both worlds has always worked for me , once you've found a balance of fish that works it can be very rewarding

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Same here. I have 2 spot astyanax tetras w/ my cichlids. They are very rare and get to 6". They are very active and I wanted something like that as cichlids typically aren't.
The challenge w/ fish mentioned in this thread is that they are cold water fish and may not work w/ the OP's fish. Also any sp. of trout is nearly impossible to keep in an aquarium.
Tropicals are easier. In a very large tank why not a large male dovii? Pbass? Wolf fish? ATFs? Shoal of piranha? Or payara?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
I've kept 5 native trout over a year in my 160 with nothing but sponge filters.
No lights no heat.
Was cool I new I wasn't going to live at that place long and didn't want to invest in fish so I caught them out of a creek on worms and a hook.

Trick with trout is a current and cold water. All my sponge filters were at one end of the tank that caused the water to roll from one end to the other it was a slight current. and that's all they need.
that was 2001 after the 1st wife but before I bought my new house and was renting.

Rich

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I've kept 5 native trout over a year in my 160 with nothing but sponge filters.
No lights no heat.
Was cool I new I wasn't going to live at that place long and didn't want to invest in fish so I caught them out of a creek on worms and a hook.

Trick with trout is a current and cold water. All my sponge filters were at one end of the tank that caused the water to roll from one end to the other it was a slight current. and that's all they need.
that was 2001 after the 1st wife but before I bought my new house and was renting.

Rich
What kind? Were they rainbow? I hear they are the best for a home aquarium. I had 3" ones in a 55g about 30 years ago. Moved them to a pond after a year.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Just Pa native brook trout. they were pretty cool.
I might try them again in with the Gar since I can't seem to find anything I want that is big enough to not be eaten by GARfield and they are cheap ( I already have a fishing license)

Rich

adr_93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
coral springs, florida
+1 on the lima shovelnose I had one and it was awesome catfish to have. Never had a gar so just food for thought but I have a red severum with my oddballs doing good rarely any aggression with the dats.

Sent from my SGH-T599N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store