Cinder block stand

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
So I’m setting up a 125g turtle tank, and I’m using 2 columns of cinder blocks 3 high. I need more height though, and was wondering if anyone had tried a stack of 4.?

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've never used cinderblocks but I do like the idea,I'm not sure if adding a fourth brick to the columns would present any issues or not....what kind of turtles will you be housing?

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
Red eared slider, eastern red belly and musk.

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I would advise 3 columns ends and middle. Overkill for weight, but it will support the tank, assuming 6ft.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I'm using cinder blocks to hold up my 125 gal out door sump, just standing them on end.
It's a new experiment for me, only put them up about 2 months ago when an earthquake took out my wood stand.
The sump is almost full of water and the blocks are standing on bare ground.
IMG_2038.jpeg

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
If I may……..
I would add another cinder block on both ends, and screw the end pieces to the side pieces to stiffen it up some. You can get self tapping masonry screws that should easily drive into cinder blocks, just make sure to pre drill the holes so you don’t crack the block.
Secondly, I would put wood or thick foam in between the tank and the block.
Or, it’s been fine for years and you can just ignore me! 😉

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I'm using cinder blocks to hold up my 125 gal out door sump, just standing them on end.
I don't like it. Doesn't look right, doesn't feel right. Cinder blocks are not load bearing anyway. But the way you have got them on their ends, I think it is a disaster waiting to happen.

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
I’m only using 2 columns set 1’ from each side. I’m figuring I’m only going to have about 60 gallons of water, so the weight shouldn’t be too much of an issue.
Cinder blocks aren’t loadbearing? On what planet? Houses are built on cinder blocks, sounds load bearing to me.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Cinder blocks aren’t loadbearing? On what planet? Houses are built on cinder blocks, sounds load bearing to me.
Non bearing walls are built of cinder blocks, but the structure above them is held up with concrete columns and beams. Or at least, in all the buildings I have been involved in.

I would not trust a fish tank to cinder blocks, but on your 'planet', I am quite happy for you to prove me wrong.

reference: https://plasticinehouse.com/cinder-block-vs-concrete-block/

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I'm pretty sure the OP is using the slang term "cinder blocks" but is actually referring to modern concrete blocks. Cinder blocks haven't been manufactured for something like 70 years.

I'm no engineer, but when I built my first "big" tank of 360 gallons I was worried enough to ask one about the strength of both the concrete blocks I hoped to use as a stand, and also the poured concrete high-rise in which my condo was located. He chuckled and showed me some quick numbers. Long story short: despite living directly beneath my unit, a few floors down, he had no concerns about the building.

Regarding the blocks, I showed him my plan for 8 stacked columns of concrete blocks to support the tank, which was going to weigh over 2.5 tons all together. I remember my dismay when he stated they would support a bit less than 1 ton...until he concluded the sentence with the words "per square inch". :)

Even with the blocks stacked the "wrong" way, i.e. with the holes facing horizontally rather than vertically, the safety factor of that construction was insanely high, somewhere up in the three-digit range. He certainly considered them load-bearing.

Having said that...blocks are heavy and bulky. I would just build a simple stand out of 2x4's; plenty strong enough, fast and easy to build in a couple hours, lightweight and easy to handle, tons of storage space underneath for sumps, equipment, etc.

Reactions: RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store