City Water Issues

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
I just moved to a very very small town (50ish miles from the TC area in MN) and it's been great, except for the water. I didn't notice the issue when I looked at the place prior to buying nor did my very intensive home inspection pick it up (and I swear I turned on a facet or two during my first visit).

Here's the issue - immediately upon move in I noticed a sulfur smell (you can't not notice is, which is why I'm kinda confused because I know I turned on facets when looking at the house and didn't note any odd smells). It's from both hot and cold, not just hot (so not a water heater issue). I tried turning on all the facets and just letting the water run for a few minutes and that has helped. Now the smell isn't present all the time but some of the time - which is confusing me.

I called the city and he said that it's very common (said welcome to small town living) and that there are also high amounts of Iron and Magnesium in the system and they flush twice a year. Was told this wouldn't cause any issues with people or pets but when I said "Well what about my pet fish?" he couldn't answer that (he meant cats/dogs).

So, here I am...with this type of water can I look at setting up a tank or should I call Culligan and look at full house filtration systems? Also if the filtration system is the way to go, is there better ones then others for fishkeeping?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I just moved to a very very small town (50ish miles from the TC area in MN) and it's been great, except for the water. I didn't notice the issue when I looked at the place prior to buying nor did my very intensive home inspection pick it up (and I swear I turned on a facet or two during my first visit).

Here's the issue - immediately upon move in I noticed a sulfur smell (you can't not notice is, which is why I'm kinda confused because I know I turned on facets when looking at the house and didn't note any odd smells). It's from both hot and cold, not just hot (so not a water heater issue). I tried turning on all the facets and just letting the water run for a few minutes and that has helped. Now the smell isn't present all the time but some of the time - which is confusing me.

I called the city and he said that it's very common (said welcome to small town living) and that there are also high amounts of Iron and Magnesium in the system and they flush twice a year. Was told this wouldn't cause any issues with people or pets but when I said "Well what about my pet fish?" he couldn't answer that (he meant cats/dogs).

So, here I am...with this type of water can I look at setting up a tank or should I call Culligan and look at full house filtration systems? Also if the filtration system is the way to go, is there better ones then others for fishkeeping?
I know iron is dosed for plants, so it doesn't harm fish, or at least in small amounts. Magnesium is used in saltwater aquariums and it doesn't harm the fish, but I'm not sure about fresh. I'm pretty sure an RO/DI unit should take out the metals from the water.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
you can use 2/3 RO water or so for really heavy water mineral content. you can also get aquarium buffer products to keep your PH stable.

another more expensive option is a charcoal (i think thats it) filter system that will remove most unwanted heavy metals, chlorines, chloramines and similar

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Yeah but with an RO/DI unit aren't you also taking away all your buffers for pH stability?
You would add chemicals to the water after it comes out of the RO/DI. What comes out of the RO/DI is about as close as you can get to pure water. Hydrogen and Oxygen. With it being so close to pure, the pH would be 7, if not very close.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Just depends on the filter membrane you use, some are finer but more expensive

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah I know RO/DI is pretty much pure stripped water which is why I am concerned about going that route with an African Cichlid tank which would do better at a higher pH. And then by chemically adjusting the pH be vulnerable to swings and crashing.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
African cichlid buffers are commonly available. a whole house filter system for drinking would be good for the sulfur and heavy metals

Reactions: Angelphish

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
You can buy seachem alkalinity buffer, which raises alkalinity along with pH. With a higher alkalinity, the pH is more stable. The product raises the pH and makes it more stable at the same time.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I suggest having at least 2 different water treatment companies come out to test your water supply and give you estimates ONLY for treating the water. They should be able to tell you the iron type and PPM (parts per million), what is causing the sulfur smell and other pertinent data before recommending a treatment type for your house.

You may just need a water softener installed but it's possible an additional treatment type may be needed based on your particular needs, both for drinking/bathing/cooking but for the fish tanks also.

You might want to talk with some of your neighbors also to see if they have a certain type of water treatment installed that they are happy with, regardless of whether they keep fish or not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store