ck tank...work in progress...thoughts?

fook

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
us
Planning on more plants. Just haven't had time to get them yet. There are a few small ones hidden in the pic. Too bad I'll have to start over with a much larger tank in a relatively short period of time. This is a 30 gallon but he's only about 6 inches or so. Just thought I'd share. Thoughts? Improvements? He seems to really dig his surroundings. You can barely see him under the largest rock. :D

lungfishlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2010
UK
lots of plants on bogwood - java ferns etc plus a few short grasses in the foreground will brighten it up no end!

Bazinga

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
toronto
flipstylex;4000622; said:
nice setup, anyways what kind of rocks are you using. Dont rocks raise your ph ?
rocks raise ph level?

lungfishlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2010
UK
Bazinga;4000630; said:
rocks raise ph level?
it depends on the type of rock. some types of rock will raise ph considerably, others will hardly change water chemistry at all.

im no expert at ph levels with rocks but to me those look like they wont change a thing...

GermanRam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2009
East Texas
Your right!! I can't see him at all. lol
CK's and Knives in general are by far the best fish that I have had in my care in thirty years of keeping fish.
I lost a great Knife a few months ago to a heater malfunction but have sense gotten another Brown Knife and Two Clown Knives.
The Clowns Grow Like CRAZY!!!. Got them at 8 & 9" 2-2-10 and both have grown 2" in that time.
The BK's give you some breathing room to count your coins for a new tank.
My Ck's are in a 55 USA Gal. Tank and are already looking like they would be better suited in a much larger tank. With a thirty.....you better be getting it together and looking hard for them a bigger set-up soon.
I wish you all the best and let me know how things are going from time to time with a PM:arapaimag:arapaimag
Here is a few pics of my knives
Picture group 1 076.jpg
Picture group 1 072.jpg
View attachment 479747

GermanRam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2009
East Texas
flipstylex;4001355; said:
hey, where do you guys get ur rocks ?
Are you asking Fook or me about the rocks?:nilly:

mashedaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
New Zealand
In general, the harder, more dense the rock the less affect it has on water chemistry.ie granite and flat river stone once boiled for at least 20 mins will have almost no effect on tank conditions at all. Dont make the mistake i did an chuck any stone in ya tank with out getting the proper advice first, any rock that is easily breakable or flakey usually contains elements that will dissolve off the surface at tropical temps.Thus killing you entire tank of fish. I thort my chiclid tank would look great with volcanic rock in it, baa buum. Wrong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store