Cleaning filter?

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Hi y’all!

I’m cycling a 90g tank currently with a FX6 canister filter and a sponge filter. However, they have both gotten disgusting, but I am not sure if this is just due to the amount of Fritz Live I’ve used, or if it’s just icky. Should I clean them, or wait for the tank to be cycled?

For another question, when I’m not cycling a tank, how often should I clean the filters, and how should I do so?

thank you!!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Should I clean them, or wait for the tank to be cycled?
Wait for complete cycle.
I personally would alternate cleaning the filters but that's my preference.
Tbh never owned a Cannister Filter but here the majority clean every month.
The Sponge filter can be rinsed clean in aquarium water weekly if you choose to do so to keep it from clogging.

Reactions: MetalRavioli

Sadrobots

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2021
if i were you i would just leave it be for awhile - i am a huge advocate for fiddling with the tank/filtration/equipment as little as possible. while the tank cycles i would let those bad-boys fill up all sorts of mulm and detritus. as far as cleaning goes once you get going, i typically clean one of my canisters once a month.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Once the tank is cycled, regular cleaning of filters becomes important, because without regular cleanings filters and their mechanical media, become excessive producers of nitrates.
The problem with regular cleaning of cans, is the constant taking apart and putting back together usually wears them, and their parts out rather quickly.
For this reason and the nitrate they spew, I stopped using cans altogether.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store