Cleaning sand, found an easier way

BadGaskets

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2023
Here's some sand collected at a local lake. It's hard to tell but that's a 5 gallon bucket full in it the wheel barrow.

I've always dreaded washing sand out but this specific wheelbarrow made it SO much easier. It's so low to the ground, and balanced, that even totally full of sand and water it's VERY easy to gently tilt forward to pour off the dirty water.

I cleaned two 5 gallon buckets full of sand in about 10 minutes. Granted, the sand came from a fairly clean freshwater beach but still, the easiest method I've ever found.

1000005366.jpg

Flaring Afro

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2016
I never thought about using a wheelbarrow... I really don't need one but am planning on building two 1,000+ gallon tanks in the next few years and one will have a very deep sand bed... It may be worth the money given the time saved.

Since it's sand straight from a lake, do you boil it or take any other precautions to prevent algae, parasites, etc from entering your aquarium?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Since it's sand straight from a lake, do you boil it or take any other precautions to prevent algae, parasites, etc from entering your aquarium?
I collected a sample of sand with water and plant from a local lake. After it settled down in the vessel it contained round worms planaria, and a leech. Yes I definitely recommend placing sand in a bucket and pour boiling water on the sand. Also make sure to stir it up.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store