Cleaning sand?

Ironclad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2006
Virginia
Check the phone book for a pool supply store. Lowe's will only have play sand. I've used it in a turtel tank, but it takes a lot of pre rinsing.

Don't know nothing bout no Menards though...... :D

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
Rinsed mine with water change water...20 lbs at a time...poured it in with a small bucket and it settled in a few hours...Yes it will get syphoned up I use a small stainless screen in my syphon tube. Thing is the debris will lay on top of the sand and not be deep like gravel.

Kimix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2006
NW Indiana/Chicago
I have the same problem of my sand getting sucked up the syphon. I don't really care that im losing sand, but i cant dump it into my sink/toilet b/c it will settle in the bottom of the sumps or septic tank.. where ever it goes to... Next time i clean im going to rubberband a piece of nylon stocking to the end of my spyhon tube and see if that will catch it.

Someone told me buying a sphyhon with a longer uptake tube will also help but i havnt tried it yet

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
timbo08;513724; said:
Have any tips or tricks during cleaning so not as much sand get sucked up? Thanks
Use a small stick attached to the tube to stir the crap off the bottom and the syphon won't have to be so close as to suck up the sand. I have slots cut in my syphon head 3" up from the end...Gotta recharge the camera batts. but it looks something like this...

syphon cutout.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store