clearest water possible, what do i need

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
Do what the discus keepers do, daily 80% water changes.

a_c_arnold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
St. Louis
A UV light won't do much for particulate, but if an algea bloom is causing your water problem, then it can help, but small particles can only be removed by fine media or lots of water changes.
Try one of these,

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
plenty of water change. with little filteration with lots of water change will still keep your water clean and clear.

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
With what you are spending on filters you could have built a nice sump. I would use a good polishing floss to help catch the fine stuff, or use a diatom filter.

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
Deepsouth;2360747; said:
I know many will disagree with me, but go ahead and put an undergravel filter in part of the tank. The water will be crazy clear. Small particles make the water look a little misty. Most filters cant catch these particles. You can get a special filter to catch these or just add a small undergravel filter. GL
I agree! I've had African Tanks that were loaded with fish and rocks and people would always ask how I kept the water so clear. I would reply with....
"a U.G. filter with power heads, a HOB filter or 2, and weekly water changes!"

Alternative ways would be using polishing pads in your filter or using a Diatom filter as needed.

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
You could do what I did, put 2 ac110s, an xp3, and a fx5 on my 125g, the water is so clear sometimes accidentally run into the tank. In addition I added some purigen to the ac110s and it gives it that glassy shiny, hot dam kinda look!

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
diatom filter. clearest water you can get. period

blue_pill85

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2006
peoria il
silverdragon;2360780; said:
Put some Purigen by Seachem in your canister, the water will be so clear you can drink it!
mines definitely not crystal clear and i drink it. man does the wfie go nuts about that.

Id carbon the heck out of it un less youre running any chemicals the carbon would remove. when I was using tons of carbon my tanks were invisible, but im too broke to keep up with that now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store