Clown loach internal parasite

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
My group of 10 plus clowns have been a bit twitchy recently which I believe is a type of internal parasite. Tank is 400l and water is kept clean introduced some new loach recently which may have been a host. I don't like to use meds on my loach as they don't do to well with normal fish meds. What is the best clown safe medicine I can get in the UK. My loach are all fairly large 3 inch plus

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If it was me, I would start with NLS Hex-Shield, if you can get that in the UK. I have used this successfully on CL's in the past, along with various cichlids.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Levamisole is a dewormer, so really depends on what the OP's fish are showing symptoms of. Twitching almost sounds more like flukes.

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
Levamisole is a dewormer, so really depends on what the OP's fish are showing symptoms of. Twitching almost sounds more like flukes.
Looked for the hex food struggli g to find it in the UK. Regarding symptoms twitching and head whacking on the hard surfaces thought it was white spot originally also have a jag cichlid showing similar symptoms.

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
Sorry just realised I am currently treating with melafix as some clowns had sores on there fins which have healed during the course

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Ok, sounds like something in the gills, so possibly ich, or flukes. I have no idea what is available for either in the UK, but heat (86F or better) is an option for treating ich.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
IMO Melafix is a waste of money, and at least with some species can be an irritant, and cause 02 issues. I would start with removing that from the equation via water changes.

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
IMO Melafix is a waste of money, and at least with some species can be an irritant, and cause 02 issues. I would start with removing that from the equation via water changes.
Cheers RD much much appreciated. I have found a clown loach safe fluke medicine from water life called sterazine once I have removed the mefalix I will look to dose with that. Regarding levamisole it's very difficult to get in the UK unless you are a farmer I believe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store