Clown loach internal parasite

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Cheers RD much much appreciated. I have found a clown loach safe fluke medicine from water life called sterazine once I have removed the mefalix I will look to dose with that. Regarding levamisole it's very difficult to get in the UK unless you are a farmer I believe.
Sterazine is not guaranteed safe with clown loaches. Check the ingredients...it has formaldehyde in it....

Fluke meds that is safe for clown loaches and you can buy from the UK is FlukeSolve(praziquantel based med)

https://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Fluke-Solve-for-flukes-or-tapeworm.aspx

Alternatively/additionally, I highly recommend Kusuri Wormer plus(flubendazole based med) which works against a range of worms, flukes, and also parasites like hex.

Both are safe with clown loaches.

In fact, I would buy both and treat first with the Kusiri wormer plus, 2 treatments 4 days apart. Then treat with Flukesolve. The reason being is that Kusuri is more broad spectrum and in fact also treats flukes although I buy it mainly for internal worms and parasites. If it doesn't knock the flukes(if that's what the clowns have), it will certainly knock out worms and parasites. If needed, then follow with flukesolve.

The second reason I suggest this order of events is because one should not treat with any other meds after flukesolve for about 3 weeks. The treatment of flukesolve itself can/should be run for 2-3 weeks to kill all live flukes and eggs, depending on the type of flukes.
Kusiri on another hand is biodegradable and lasts only about 4 days, hence the repeat treatment suggested 4 days apart. It doesn't not require removal after treatment so one can follow up with another med, if needed.

On a side note, flashing clown loaches could be due to water quality issues...Same applies to damaged fins....

Good luck.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Did the twitching etc start before the Melafix treatment, or after?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Cory gave you some excellent advice, but the reason I asked about the Melafix, and when the twitching started, is as previously stated with some species Melafix can be an irritant, and cause 02 issues. I would hate to see you throwing a bunch of meds at your fish if this is just a reaction to the Melafix.

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
Sterazine is not guaranteed safe with clown loaches. Check the ingredients...it has formaldehyde in it....

Fluke meds that is safe for clown loaches and you can buy from the UK is FlukeSolve(praziquantel based med)

https://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Fluke-Solve-for-flukes-or-tapeworm.aspx

Alternatively/additionally, I highly recommend Kusuri Wormer plus(flubendazole based med) which works against a range of worms, flukes, and also parasites like hex.

Both are safe with clown loaches.

In fact, I would buy both and treat first with the Kusiri wormer plus, 2 treatments 4 days apart. Then treat with Flukesolve. The reason being is that Kusuri is more broad spectrum and in fact also treats flukes although I buy it mainly for internal worms and parasites. If it doesn't knock the flukes(if that's what the clowns have), it will certainly knock out worms and parasites. If needed, then follow with flukesolve.

The second reason I suggest this order of events is because one should not treat with any other meds after flukesolve for about 3 weeks. The treatment of flukesolve itself can/should be run for 2-3 weeks to kill all live flukes and eggs, depending on the type of flukes.
Kusiri on another hand is biodegradable and lasts only about 4 days, hence the repeat treatment suggested 4 days apart. It doesn't not require removal after treatment so one can follow up with another med, if needed.

On a side note, flashing clown loaches could be due to water quality issues...Same applies to damaged fins....

Good luck.
You sir are my Knight in shining armour both yourseld and RD have been very helpful. Both have been ordered. Much much appreciated

Reactions: Coryloach

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Ok, then I would start by doing water changes and removing the Melafix. Monitor for a few days and see if it was just a reaction to the Melafix, before you start throwing meds at your fish.

Reactions: Coryloach

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
Ok, then I would start by doing water changes and removing the Melafix. Monitor for a few days and see if it was just a reaction to the Melafix, before you start throwing meds at your fish.
Little update all loach other than one have stopped twitching and the last one is really slowihg down hopefully they are on the mend. Any ideas how often I can use stearazine

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Since you last posted, what have you done, other than water changes? I was hoping that this was just a reaction to the Melafix.

I'm not familiar with Stearazine, but Cory stated that it should not be used with loaches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store