Clown loaches induce feeding?

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
I wish mine did :irked:

Hopefully that changes in the near future. I'd like them to have a nice balanced diet for a change!

Datnoid101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Off the deep end
tigercraze.com
Either starve them out and just be patient. Archers also make great teachers for eating other foods. Do you have all indos? If so, they are the most acceppting of various foods. Try feeding bloodworms or krill until they reach 2". And to tell you the truth, An all krill/shrimp diet is not all that bad. You'll notice nice orange coloration on fins and excellent growth

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
sinister j;1048331; said:
Either starve them out and just be patient. Archers also make great teachers for eating other foods. Do you have all indos? If so, they are the most acceppting of various foods. Try feeding bloodworms or krill until they reach 2". And to tell you the truth, An all krill/shrimp diet is not all that bad. You'll notice nice orange coloration on fins and excellent growth
Most of them are 2 inches or more.

I've had them since march at this point. I can starve the bigger ones for a couple of days at a time, which I've already tried, but I'm not going to starve the smaller ones as I've already had one die because he refused to eat anything. They don't eat bloodworms, it's the one thing they absolutely HATE and they won't even touch it. I've tried mixing garlic extract with it and even soaking it in water that's had krill in it, to get the smell on it, and it doesn't matter.

I'm going to wait 'til they've doubled in size anyway to try the starvation method for a longer period. That said, they're growing well on plain old krill, I'd just like some more variance.

beachman22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2007
Brooklyn
Ya, after my Dats reached about 1.5" they wouldn't even look a bloodworms. They're just too small for them to bother with i think. But feeding them krill seems to have bulked them up alot. I also noticed that feeding them large pieces, sometimes whole krill, really speeds up their growth.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
beachman22;1048575; said:
Ya, after my Dats reached about 1.5" they wouldn't even look a bloodworms. They're just too small for them to bother with i think. But feeding them krill seems to have bulked them up alot. I also noticed that feeding them large pieces, sometimes whole krill, really speeds up their growth.
Ours would never eat bloodworms. They started out on brine shrimp when we bought them and everyone said "get bloodworms! they'll love them!".
Nope, not ours, they're picky bastards, lol.

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
my fish induce the clowns. they start feeding which brings out the CLs

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
toehead11183;1049284; said:
my fish induce the clowns. they start feeding which brings out the CLs
Yeah. Clowns are pretty nosy, so if they see someone else eating they usually want a part of it, lol. They have a great sense of smell too, so that probably has something to do with it.

Yakuza-Irezumi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
In a Tattoo Studio
ShadowBass;1047363; said:
Yeah I usually have plenty of krill, I just didn't realize how low I was on it, it runs out so quick. I ordered the biggest can possible offa drs foster and smith on thursday, so it should be here tomorrow.
Frozen Krill is sooo much cheaper and you can get bigger batches..........

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Yakuza-Irezumi;1049565; said:
Frozen Krill is sooo much cheaper and you can get bigger batches..........
The only reason I'm feeding dry is because not all of them will eat the frozen (yeah weird, I know, it's all krill :irked: ). I did have a bunch of frozen krill at one time, but it ended up going to my other fish because the dats didn't care for it.

cjack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2007
Fish Planet, Deerfield Illinois
I had great success with a Leopard Ctenopoma getting my D. Microlepis to eat. Now ive got my dat on Mysis/plankton, im waiting to get bigger pellets in hope that will get him to eat dried food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store