CO2 injection & sumps

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
jcardona1 jcardona1 did it very successfully. You'll definitely lose a bit of your CO2 due to water movement, but it can still be very effective. I plan to swap out my FX5 on my 180 and go to a sump the next time I empty the tank. (sump won't fit through the doors.)

The key is to reduce as much surface agitation as possible. Use a beananimal overflow and have the drains empty below the water surface in the sump.

martinbinn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2013
Australia, Sydney, 2126
jcardona1 jcardona1 did it very successfully. You'll definitely lose a bit of your CO2 due to water movement, but it can still be very effective. I plan to swap out my FX5 on my 180 and go to a sump the next time I empty the tank. (sump won't fit through the doors.)

The key is to reduce as much surface agitation as possible. Use a beananimal overflow and have the drains empty below the water surface in the sump.
Thanks for your reply!
I'd love to hear from him.
How do you plan on plumbing in your return to tank?
Beananimal overflow seams like the go, that's going to be a huge learning curve for me, can you recommend any literature?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
He hasn't been on in a while, but if you look through his threads, there are two in particular. The 56G planted build and the 190 planted build. Those were both planted and both had sumps, bean animals, and Co2 injection.

My 180 already has bulkheads, pac, and flexible outputs to run the return. All I have to do is remove the canister that is hard-plumbed and connect up the sump.

The beananimal and the Herbie overflows are used in some good builds around here. Although it might take some searching. The difference between the two is basically an extra pipe for emergency. If Jcardona1's stuff doesn't make sense, I would look to Google as many people have done it and explained it.

martinbinn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2013
Australia, Sydney, 2126
He hasn't been on in a while, but if you look through his threads, there are two in particular. The 56G planted build and the 190 planted build. Those were both planted and both had sumps, bean animals, and Co2 injection.

My 180 already has bulkheads, pac, and flexible outputs to run the return. All I have to do is remove the canister that is hard-plumbed and connect up the sump.

The beananimal and the Herbie overflows are used in some good builds around here. Although it might take some searching. The difference between the two is basically an extra pipe for emergency. If Jcardona1's stuff doesn't make sense, I would look to Google as many people have done it and explained it.
Well I've just finished plumbing up my tank and getting it all ready. I've decided to go for the Herbie overflow with my own twist to work for my needs. So far so good. Will post a build thread when I have time. Thanks for your help pharaoh

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store