Cold water experts---Chiller question...

pi-eyed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I have a friend who wants to set up a salt water lobster tank. They seem to like their water a little on the cooler side so a chiller will be needed. I had an idea the other night at work while looking at the new drinking fountain. Would it be possible to use the chiller out of a drinking fountain to chill a 100g-150g tank? Logic tells me that you would put the chiller inline between the sump and the return pump--but I'm no expert.. So basically I have 2 questions:

1) Would a chiller from a drinking fountain work for a 100g-150g tank?

2) Would you integrate the chiller into the filtration system--or some other way?

Post up diagrams and schematics if you have them PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much MFK,

----Chris

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
The heat exchanger needs to be plastic lined/coated. Older water fountains/coolers were not lined. I don't know about the newer ones. Chillers are actually one of the things you just want to grin and bear it, and fork out the cash. In the end, you'll be glad you did.

With LED's taking over the reef world, used chillers are becoming pretty common. Keep an eye out on Craigslist and any local reef forums.

pi-eyed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Kalamazoo, Michigan
The heat exchanger needs to be plastic lined/coated. Older water fountains/coolers were not lined. I don't know about the newer ones. Chillers are actually one of the things you just want to grin and bear it, and fork out the cash. In the end, you'll be glad you did.

With LED's taking over the reef world, used chillers are becoming pretty common. Keep an eye out on Craigslist and any local reef forums.
Thanks for the reply Chompers!!!! If it was my project that is exactly what I'd be doing(looking for a used chiller).We both did a little looking for a used chiller and the prices are insane. You know how it goes: Want the best possible for the least amount of $$$. If that means a little work and research so be it. I just had this hair brained idea and thought I would ask the experts. On the plus side, I have a friend that worked for a chiller manufacturer for several years(making them from scratch).

I'm still looking for plumbing ideas for adding a chiller inline w/sump system..

---Chris

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
The chiller needs to be after the pump.

There has been an idea beating around for a long time about using a dorm fridge as a chiller (there is a flaw in the design). What you do is get a huge roll of poly tube and put it in the fridge. You'll need to drill two holes for the pipe, and you'll be in business. The problem is someone did the math. A dorm fridge won't pull enough BTU's to act as an effective chiller. And they often don't have an effective thermostat to control the temperature where you'll need it.

So now you can see why you can't save money this way. You can start cheap, but when you have it working, it will cost as much or more than a used chiller.

And $250 isn't bad. If that will break the bank, a lobster tank is probably not on the horizon.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
You know what? Instead of Maine Lobsters, how about Florida Lobsters? They don't need a chiller. The down side is they don't have claws, but otherwise they look pretty much the same. There is also the slipper lobster (looks like a cockroach) and another type that I can't think of right now. Crabs would also look cool in a lobster tank. Florida has stone crabs and blue crabs; they would both be awsome in with some lobsters.

...You might hear about a certain 250g tank undergoing a FW to SW conversion (for lobsters and crabs...I like the idea).

Owain4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
amongst the trees
You could always try looking for one of those Lobster tanks that they have in markets and grocery stores. i know for a fact they have chillers built in and it wouldnt be hard to diy a sump or add filters too it

zuesana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
I tried the dorm fridge thing....it worked, kept my test bucket at 64F for a good 4 days but the fridge never turned off to cycle or whatever, it was running constantly for those 4 days and then started to get really hot in the back. :(

pi-eyed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Kalamazoo, Michigan
You know what? Instead of Maine Lobsters, how about Florida Lobsters? They don't need a chiller. The down side is they don't have claws, but otherwise they look pretty much the same. There is also the slipper lobster (looks like a cockroach) and another type that I can't think of right now. Crabs would also look cool in a lobster tank. Florida has stone crabs and blue crabs; they would both be awsome in with some lobsters.

...You might hear about a certain 250g tank undergoing a FW to SW conversion (for lobsters and crabs...I like the idea).
I like that idea as well. I will run that by my friend for sure.. I researched the dorm fridge idea and totally agree that it wouldn't be efficient for what he wants to do.. You are right $250 isn't bad..Not compaired to the prices I've been finding locally.

----Chris

piggy67

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2007
Michigan
Hey! Florida blue crabs would look awesome in my cray tank...Thanks for the idea Chompers..

Chris....i need Florida blue crabs....work some of your magic bro...lol

OH, sorry to derail the thread...:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store