Coming soon- Brachy sticky, submit pics/comments!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Seeing the Piraiba picture thread pop back up reminded me that I've been wanting to write up one of my guides on the genus Brachyplatystoma. Over the past few years, I think that our community has done wonderful work on sorting out the issues with fila vs capa, the care of the species and most controversially, flash zebra vs. juruense. I think that it is time to cover these bases in a definitive fashion, and I'd like your input.

If you wish to submit pics, please make sure that they are decent. It doesn't have to be professional quality, see the pics in the African tiger fish sticky for example, but it needs to be clear enough that one can obviously identify diagnostic traits in the fish. Obviously high quality DSL pics are preferred, but good cell phone pics are still very useable. Spam what you have here, I'd rather the pics come to me than have to go looking for them.

The same goes for comments. Feeding, housing, furniture, water quality, etc.

If you submit anything that gets used, you WILL be credited.

Thanks!

Rob

thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter LiamIrons LiamIrons necrocanis necrocanis E Estarego8 Aw3s0m3 Aw3s0m3

Tag anyone else who may be relevant!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It's a great idea and the right effort... but I don't envy anyone who'd do it.

I have no additional comments apart from what had been said and published in the many threads on the subject. Toward any particular topic, I can try digging up the most relevant and informative links that you'd have to digest, if I am seeing it right.

As for pics, I can dump all the worthy brachy pics that are mine here in this thread. Is this the idea?

I'd think soliciting the direct help from bonified and certified experts on ID issues would be of most use, not the thoughts of us mere mortals. Just like we all learned from pretty much Fugupuff's authoritative knowledge on capa vs fila. But it's your concerto :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
At this size I'd think fila must be spotted. Maybe these are vaillantii.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thanks Viktor! If you want to dump threads on me, that'd be great, and particularly useful for building my recommended reading section. I'd be happy to see any pics you have, too.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've been lazy and not helpful. When I have 1-2 hours to spare, I will send and compile what I have, which is not much. I have all more or less known Brachies (except jur currently) but they are very young - 2"-10", except 18" Suriname filamentosum Wes has just sent me. So my experience is pitiful - puny, sketchy, and patchy.

I hope those more experienced will chip in too.

We all need this review.

Unless Rob's changed his mind, bump for a good cause. Chicxulub Chicxulub

Reactions: moe214

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
20150116_180133.jpg
Here's what a dead right looks like

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com