Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
undetectable
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
91-100%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Because all my fish are wild caught, I find parasites are my most common bugaboo, especially on Cyprinids.
Lernaea cyprinacea is the most common phage I see here in Panama, but is also common world wide.
Tetras, barbs, minnows, goldfish are all potential hosts for this pesky little bug.
In nature 1 single parasite on a fish, may be "no big deal", but in the concentrated space of a tank these parasites get concentrated, and can continue to attach and can eventually kill.
I caught about a half dozen cyprinids last week (Cyphocharax magdalenea) and it took about a week for them to settle in enough(for me) to get close up pics of, to ascertain any hitchhiking vectors.
IMG_4880.jpeg
Above you can see a Lernaea hanging near the Adipose fin.
IMG_4866.jpeg
Above on the right, a Lernaea near the dorsal, and on the fish on the above left, below the eye.
IMG_4922.jpeg
Above on the cyprinid on the right near the dorsal.
So I treated the entire tank with a Metrondozole suspension, but.....if the Lernaea persists, I will add Praziquantel.
IMG_4934.jpeg
Beside wild caught collected fish, this parasite is very common on feeder fish like goldfish, and rosy red minnows, unless they are QT-eed and medicated
IMG_5162.jpeg
Found on a different species of Tetra (genus Roeboides) below
IMG_5953.jpeg
On the caudal above. Dorsal below.
IMG_7377.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
So those don't respond to say a direct swab? Or would that hurt the fish. Seems odd those mostly target a genus...you'd think they would cling to any usable host.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think the Lernaea target just a genus.

One note - Cyphocharax magdaleNAE is not a cyprinid. It is in the Curimatidae, so a relative of "bocachico", "jaraqui" and other food fishes like "flagtail Prochilodus" and similars. In other words a Characin (sensu latu, before former "Characidae" was split into a number of families). In appearance, Cyphocharax is most similar to small curimatids such as smaller headstanders (Chilodus and others). Cyprinidae is not naturally diverse in the New World.
Lernaea may be more prevalent in some fishes than others, but it is by no means specific.

Reactions: tlindsey and FINWIN

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have removed them physically, in the past (if noticed before going in the tank) once in a large tank, the catching process gets complicated.
IMG_0685.jpegIMG_0684.jpeg
Although I agree, not absolutely species specific .
I have yet to see a wild cichlid, plagued the way the Characins, and live bearers are.
Not saying they can't be, especially in the confines of a closed system.
I noticed after a weeks treatment with Metrozol, one of the Cyphocarax, still carrying a number of them.
IMG_5188.jpeg
So today I will start a regime of Praziquantel.
IMG_5217.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: AR1 and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store