commonly mislabeled polypterus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Thanks for that. I think the fish I am looking at that is labeled as Palmas is not as a Palmas at all. I think it is neither. It has light horizontal dark stripes.

darthbravo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2007
Lake Elsinore, CA
Yeah i actually noticed this today when i recieved some senegals at the store, i notice that they are mis-labeled palmas but were obviously senegals. Sometimes i dont know what the distribution center is doing? :screwy:

bichir_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Temecula
wow that is really helpful info ty ty man some guy told me i bought an 6'' ornate from him and when i saw this thread i clearly see that it is a polli palmas (the first one you put a pic of)

uwe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
Germany
The mislabeling of Polypterids is widely-spread ... in Germany there's the same situation.

Most aquaristic books are mislabeling bichirs for decades! The dealer who wants to know anything about the fish he get, have to assume this thrash. I've seen Palmas declared as Ansorgii, Polli declared as Palmas (THE most popular mislabeling!) ... in books!

No wonder - in the pet-shop you will see the result of bad investigation done by writers who are resistent against knowledge ...

pdbrady

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2006
Springfield, MO
I just saw the first 2 on this list in the same store, IN THE SAME TANK! Saw a label for palmas for 19.99. So I get excited for a polli or butti, only to find an overpriced senegal. Then I see a label for congicus 49.99 but couldn't see him. I actually asked about compatibility on here, then decided to go have a look, only to find a lap (not that I'm upset by it). :grinno:

kasper909

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2007
SoCal
:headbang2I want more!!!!!!:headbang2

rba718

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Good thread, I can see how many people as well as your common aquarium shop owner can mix them up if they don't do their proper research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store