Community CA/SA Setup...

Balookis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
United States
Hey everyone. I have several questions relating to the keeping of these cichlids, so thanks in advance for the help.

I am looking to upgrade my current setup to something in the 400-500 gallon range. I'm keeping an eye out for good deals. I posted before about some juveniles I was stocking in a 90 gal., and so far they are all doing great, but they won't last there for long. Here is what I have now:

1x male RTM
1x female Festae
1x male (I think) Trimac
1x Black Belt (not sure of sex yet)
1x Carpintis Escondido (not sure of sex yet)
1x Umbee (not sure of sex yet)
1x Gold Nugget Pleco

All of the above fish were purchased from Rapps in July. All are doing great and looking great.

Also:

1x Texas Cichlid (not sure of sex yet)
1x female Salvini
2x Feather Fin Catfish
3x Managuense

Those fish came from a LFS. I am planning to keep only one of the Jags long term...just waiting to see which one turns out the best. All fish in the tank are currently in the 3-3.5 in. range.

When I upgrade to the Monster Tank in the next month or so, I would like to add a couple of P-Bass or possibly a few other cichlids. I know that seems like a lot of fish in one tank, but 500 gallons is a big ass tank, lol!

So, my questions:

1. Will a tank that large support those fish and two or three P-Bass for life?

2. How about 1 male Dovii and couple of other CA/SA cihlids instead of the bass?

3. Most of the used systems I am finding for sale are coming with protein skimmers and UV sterilizers. I know this stuff is used a lot by reefers, but does it help at all on freshwater tanks full of predators? I have a UV sterilizer on my 90 now (came with it), but I don't really know if it is helping or not. I don't have any problems so...

4. Same question about refugiums...any benefit on a freshwater system?

5. Do powerheads in the tank to circulate water help to move the waste to the overflow? Will the extra current be a problem for the cichlids?

6. Feel free to offer any extra bits of advice...I've never had a monster tank full of monster fish, so I am all ears, lol.

Thanks!

Arthur

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2005
michigan
can't really help much with your stocking, never had a tank that large but I would think dovii and the umbee may cause trouble later on if you have males the rest is kinda trial and error.

The uv sterilizer as I understand it helps curb parasites/disease as well as control algea. Never heard of anyone using a skimmer on fw, and don't really know what they do any way. You could use a refugium, but just fill it with plants and light it well, not necessary but would be useful.

I have a power head in the middle of my 125 to help circulate water a little more and my pair of festae don't mind, even spawned for the first time a few weeks ago.

Good luck and post pictures

Balookis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
United States
I don't have a problem with parasites or disease, but I do have significant algae growth...maybe the UV isn't doing it's job...or maybe it would just be a lot worse without it, lol. I do have lights used for coral growth though, so I guess it is to be expected. I clean it out about twice a week to keep it under control.

I think I will just try it with the bass and see how it goes. I will adjust as needed down the road if problems arise.

mudjimba

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2008
PERTH, Western Australia
In regards to your UV, you say it came with your 90g, it is recommended to replace UV lamps at or around 6 month intervals. Maybe your lamp is past it's use by date.
I agree your 500 gallon will be a big ass tank, but they are all big ass fish, good luck with your project.
Cheers
Mudjimba

Balookis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
United States
mudjimba;2222089; said:
In regards to your UV, you say it came with your 90g, it is recommended to replace UV lamps at or around 6 month intervals. Maybe your lamp is past it's use by date.
I agree your 500 gallon will be a big ass tank, but they are all big ass fish, good luck with your project.
Cheers
Mudjimba
Ahh...that may be the problem...thanks for the heads up. I doubt the guy that had it before replaced them and I haven't in the three months I have had it. I'll try that and see if it helps with the algae growth.

They are big ass fish for sure. I'll give it a shot and if size or aggression becomes a problem I will thin it out. By then I will know which ones I like the best and want to keep.

LobstersGoPeenchPeench

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Iowa, United States
nice ummm the pbass depending on the individual specimens i think might get beat up unless u add them to the 500 first before you add the cichlids or you could try some pike cichlids i think u would find them to be enjoying to watch. reason i say that about the pbass is because my brother currently has 2 juvie orange pikes and 1 juvie saxtilis type pike and 2 juvie pbass in the tank. the 2 pbass are gettin ganked by the pikes hard and we put up a divider because one is just barely holding onto life. so they might get beat up pretty bad. but some of the rarer pike cichlid species would be a cool addition. or maybe add a few convicts or firemouths to add as dithers and possibly get a breeding pair or two to add some free food too! idk jsut a thought

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store