compatability

billbobthegreat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
Eastbourne uk
Just wandering about compatibility of smaller sharks with other fish. Everywhere says keep them away from angelfish and puffers and such but I've seen them housed together in larger enclosures. So my question is how large a tank would you need to house a bamboo shark or two with say, emperor angelfish, golden puffer, queen angelfish and some fast moving tangs?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Depends on each fish. I've had them in with angels in tanks under 1,000 gallons just fine, and I've had issues in a 3,700 gallon with eyes getting picked at so badly I had to pull the sharks/rays out.
Best bet is just to avoid the grazers/pickers so you don't have to worry about it.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
So it is a no-go then, what sorts of interesting fish can you keep with them?
I like using 'filler fish' with shark tanks. Groupers work well or small schooling fish like chromis.

billbobthegreat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
Eastbourne uk
Thanks man, I'm a way off the tank currently. I'm joining the royal marines and once I'm in or after a couple of years I'm going to treat myself with this tank, dimension wise I'm looking at 120"x48"x36" so 4 foot wide will this be suitable for two bamboo sharks?

billbobthegreat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
Eastbourne uk
I actually really like the greys I'm thinking of having a seperate tank in the 6x2 region for the non compatible fish and having a large but shallow tank for the sharks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store