Con Solo the Convict

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Another weekly video. I really just can't get enough of these guys. It's so fun coming up to the tank and see 20 or so baby convicts excited and begging for food. Looks like Solo and Leia have calmed down too and the aggression has decreased significantly between the two of them.

I may be pointing out the obvious here, but I've noticed Solo is a seriously good parent towards his young. Probably more so than Leia. For example, the other day during feeding time Leia was getting a bit clumsy around the youngsters trying to grab pellets. To Solo it must've seemed like she was trying to eat them. Didn't take long for him to decide he didn't like that, and gave her a pretty forceful nudge. Almost as if he was saying "What the hell are you doing?!" in his own cichlid kind of way.

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Been a little bit since I've updated. The young Cons are growing faster than ever at the moment, or it at least seems like it. All of them are about a half inch now minimum with some of the larger, more dominant ones pushing 3/4 of an inch. It's interesting to see that these guys have zero fear. Maybe it's because they've become so used to my presence essentially since they've been free swimming. They have no problem biting my hands during water changes, and I mean BITING. Some of the nips catch me by surprise and have quite a bit of force behind them lol.

Solo and Leia do their own thing now, away from the youngsters. I'm curious to see if they would even attempt a spawn with the little ones still around. She's the boss as always. He just follows her around like a lost puppy most of the time, apart from when he thinks food is being dropped in 😆.

Towards the end of the video I tried my best to focus on the one Con that was almost white and barely showing bars. Well, just as you said FINWIN FINWIN , the little guy now has bars lol. He's still different enough from the others that I can spot him very easily. By pure chance too that particular youngster is one of the largest of the bunch and has to be the most aggressive. He basically claimed that entire area in front of the fake log for himself. You'd think this fish was a little 3/4 inch Midas with the way he asserts himself towards the others.

I'll be honest, the idea of keeping one for a short period to grow out the in the 29g has been bouncing around in my head. I just don't know if it's worth using that tank for something else other than a backup, in the off chance I have to separate Solo and Leia.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Chances are if Solo and Leia are ready to spawn again you'll notice open hostility to their current fry and wanting 'space.' They'll go to their area and chase 'em all off. Once they stop guarding and defending fry they're on their own. All fish moms aren't equal that's for sure...Reeva was the worst. After one week she was done and let Mongo do all the work.

Yah these cons and hrps with their bar/no bar stuff. Buddy still pops on and off like a jammed light with his stripes. The females are a hoot, clipping the big males on the tail when they aren't looking. I'm going to give an update later about the hrp clan.

Healthy little nuggets, lol

Reactions: Matth05
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store