Con Solo the Convict

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Here's a better video of the fry. Was able to get the camera to focus on the little buggers a couple times. Right now they're really cute little things, since they look like actual little convicts, minus the barring of course. Another new behavior from Solo the past 2 or 3 days. I guess he decided I am not to be trusted anymore with his babies and will flare at me/Attempt to bite fingers through the glass. A far cry from his usually mellow personality. I'd rather not get him all worked up though, I'm sure spawning and raising fry induces enough stress on a pair.

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Just short of two weeks since I’ve posted a video. I feel like they’re growing like weeds, despite how small they still are lol. Most of them are beginning to show barring, some lighter than others which has me intrigued. You’ll probably have to pause and zoom a couple times to get a good glimpse at them. A few freeze frames from the video:IMG_2505.jpegIMG_2506.jpeg

Still eating BBS almost daily, but they’re at the size where I can crush up NLS flakes a bit less fine than before and feed it to them more often. They go absolutely nuts when I come by the tank now.

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Looking for some input guys. I’ve noticed an uptick in aggression from Solo towards Leia. Not as bad as the previous time they were together, but it’s been on and off for about 2 weeks and the last few days I think his aggression has gone up another stage. Help me understand what might be going on here, as I don’t want to jeopardize either of their safety.

I’m not sure if he’s looking to spawn again, because he still pretty aggressively defends the youngsters when I approach the tank? Maybe it’s Leia that’s no longer parenting the little ones and she’s looking to spawn, while he is still in fry guarding mode? (It does look like his fins have slowly been getting nipped again which is why I’m suspecting this as well)

Reactions: Berts46ers

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Thought I should add a bit to what I mentioned above. Since the last post Leia has got a pretty noticeable nip on her tail fin. Might be the only time I’ve seen her get nipped by him.

It also seems like Leia is quick to distance herself from the fry, Solo almost always stays nearby. I’m starting to think it’s is the latter of the two scenarios I mentioned in the previous post. I feel inclined to make a move, just don’t know what move to make. Move Leia back to the 29 or move the fry into the 29. Or simply don’t do anything.

Berts46ers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
Thought I should add a bit to what I mentioned above. Since the last post Leia has got a pretty noticeable nip on her tail fin. Might be the only time I’ve seen her get nipped by him.

It also seems like Leia is quick to distance herself from the fry, Solo almost always stays nearby. I’m starting to think it’s is the latter of the two scenarios I mentioned in the previous post. I feel inclined to make a move, just don’t know what move to make. Move Leia back to the 29 or move the fry into the 29. Or simply don’t do anything.
Hi mate, I have breed numerous cichlid species including Convicts, Jags, Oscars and Severums and in my opinion, if they are the only breeding pair in the tank then I would leave them.
If other males or females around then maybe that complicates things depending on the scenario, but if they are alone, let them work it out. Especially with convicts, as they will breed non stop until the day they die, so do not go down the route of removing 1 or another etc.
I would also leave the fry in there too. Unless you plan on selling some fry etc you will be overrun before you know it if you start to remove them early on.

Just my 2 cents….

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Are the swordtails still in there with them? If not, it may help them having something to hate that isn’t each other.
Unfortunately not. Didn’t think they stood a chance against Leia’s constant assaults. Had the swords in the 29 for a while, and ended up moving them on fairly recently. The plan was to add more line of sight breaks and then try to reintroduce them but I never got around to it to be honest. I have considered ordering a group of green swords, preferably more than just five too. Think that would help along with the added line of sight breaks.
Yesterday was a much more peaceful day in comparison to Tuesday. Maybe Leia got the message for the time being. I’ll continue to keep an eye out and see what happens. Having the spare 29g as a last resort option does help with my piece of mind lol. Appreciate your guys’ input as always.

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Here's a video from yesterday evening. Haven't noticed any drops in numbers and they just continue to grow. During today's w/c I noticed that they're starting to establish micro-territories throughout the tank, chasing one another about. It's a bit funny watching little 1/4 inch convicts bicker with siblings.

Also remember when I said some of the fry look noticeably lighter than others. One or two of them look like this. Can't say I'm not curious as to what this little one may look like a few weeks from now, assuming he's still around.133E75CD-53D8-44BB-AA8C-7EE52EAE6873_1_201_a.jpeg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Here's a video from yesterday evening. Haven't noticed any drops in numbers and they just continue to grow. During today's w/c I noticed that they're starting to establish micro-territories throughout the tank, chasing one another about. It's a bit funny watching little 1/4 inch convicts bicker with siblings.

Also remember when I said some of the fry look noticeably lighter than others. One or two of them look like this. Can't say I'm not curious as to what this little one may look like a few weeks from now, assuming he's still around.View attachment 1538233
that washed out look reminds me of some of my hrp fry...the curious thing is that most pretty much developed bars later, even the ones with no stripes.

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
that washed out look reminds me of some of my hrp fry...the curious thing is that most pretty much developed bars later, even the ones with no stripes.
I was thinking that it looked very hrp-esque. Definitely got my eye on him to see how he develops. Right now he’s easy to spot out of the bunch, might not stay that way though if he indeed gets bars down the line.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store