Con Solo the Convict

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Update: Leia’s still putting Solo through the wringer lol. Doesn’t seem as bad as last time though. Few nips on his fins here and there but overall not horrible. Clearly she runs the show as a pair. Every once in a while Solo breaks into his little dominance display. Flaring all around slapping his tail into the sand. Also still showing those dark brown bars with maroon fins. Last time he didn’t show his full black bars until right around the time Leia was laying eggs. So I’ve kind of been using that as indicator as to whether or not they’re gearing up to actually spawn. Could be completely wrong. Anyway that’s enough rambling.View attachment 1533411View attachment 1533412View attachment 1533413
Con solo looking at his best imo. Amazing!

• Love
Reactions: Matth05

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
It's the underneath recessive color traits that can surprise. I've found that out with my hrps. For example only three of my male hrps (both striped) have red tails. Bumper, Matches, and Dusty. Dusty (the one built like a midas) has a rust color on his whole body like he's dipped in red dye over his stripes. NONE of the other hrp males have that trait. Dusty is completely unique out of hundreds.

Just like the quad colors (Pink marble with red markings, blue or yellow fins). Clearly recessive traits that showed after three generations cross bred. Another unique one so far is Ace, rainbow colored with no black markings anywhere.

You never know what's in a fish's ancestry. So while Leia's colors may look more standard she might be the key to unusual colors. Another thing some colors don't appear or stabilize until adulthood.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
It's the underneath recessive color traits that can surprise. I've found that out with my hrps. For example only three of my male hrps (both striped) have red tails. Bumper, Matches, and Dusty. Dusty (the one built like a midas) has a rust color on his whole body like he's dipped in red dye over his stripes. NONE of the other hrp males have that trait. Dusty is completely unique out of hundreds.

Just like the quad colors (Pink marble with red markings, blue or yellow fins). Clearly recessive traits that showed after three generations cross bred. Another unique one so far is Ace, rainbow colored with no black markings anywhere.

You never know what's in a fish's ancestry. So while Leia's colors may look more standard she might be the key to unusual colors. Another thing some colors don't appear or stabilize until adulthood.
Would love too see some photos or video of your hrp someday ❤💯

Reactions: Matth05

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey

Didn’t even consider that, and it makes perfect sense. Funny, one of my upcoming Biology classes this semester is a Genetics course. Might be fun to see what aspects of the class can also be applied or connected to breeding these feisty little fish.

Reactions: FINWIN

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Decided to put some money towards a small brine shrimp hatchery, which arrived today. Figured it’s an easy way to supplement the diet of any fry Solo and Leia have. This one in particular seemed to be pretty well received, and I didn’t really feel like going down the diy route, messing with bottles and air pumps. Gonna give it a little test run today to see how effective it ends up being. Might not have fry at the moment, but I’m sure my betta and the swordtails wouldn’t mind a little brine shrimp treat.IMG_2263.jpeg

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Few days past the 2 week mark now. This point last time I think they already had their first spawn, so taking a bit longer than the first time around. I want to say that the dynamic is shifting a bit though. The fin shredding from Leia has slowed down, looks like they might have been doing some lip locking at one point, just going off the marks on Leia's lower jaw. Solo does quite a bit of what I am assuming is courting behavior, where he flares and moves his fins. Hopefully they get around to spawning. Looks like Leia's egg tube is dropped so taking that as a good sign.
IMG_3288.jpegIMG_3289.jpeg

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Eggs! Went to turn the lights off usual time today and saw Leia in the midst of laying. I managed to get a quick video, but I didn't want to disturb or distract them too much. Left the lights on for like an extra hour as well. Hopefully Solo does his part and in a few days we'll have little wigglers again.

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
No fry just yet. I get the feeling I’ll come home after work tomorrow, and see wigglers in one of mom and dad’s many pits throughout the tank. Wanted to point out their change in color though. Just like like last time Solo’s barring went dark. Think it’s safe to assume I can use this as a potential indicator for when fry is on the way.IMG_3363.jpegIMG_3364.jpegIMG_3365.jpeg
Leia stays in the log, monitoring the eggs. She really only comes out if she thinks food is being dropped in. Then she’ll stuff her face with pellets and rush back into the log to chow down. Can’t leave those precious eggs unattended!
IMG_3367.jpeg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Sounds like my hrp females. When guarding eggs/fry you don't even see 'em unless they eat. They'll pop out, eat, then disappear into their family hidey holes. Right now Bianca is guarding about 15-20 wigglers...she herds them into a log while Mongo guards their branch cave. Bianca actually chases her huge cousins when they get anywhere in the area...pretty ridiculous this bullet sized female chasing 5-6 inch hulking males.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store