Con Solo the Convict

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Quick vid of the swordtails. I’m surprised how bold they are, they show almost no fear towards me. I took this vid minutes after a water change. It looks like I actually have 2 males and 4 females. The biggest males and females are pushing 2 inches but 2 of them are still only about an inch.
A day after getting them I noticed that some of them unfortunately have white stringy poop which I then learned is most likely internal parasites. I immediately looked up solutions and found RD’s sticky thread about treating with magnesium sulfate. I had some on hand so Ive been following along with the thread and two days later I’m seeing significant improvements. I do plan on grabbing some metroplex and medicated foods just in case though.

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Don't forget with Swordtails, they can change sex if there are too many of the same sex. I had 6F 1M and one of the female's changed.
Wow! Had no idea they could do that. The only fish I knew of doing that were anthias. My father had a group in his reef tank that did the exact same thing.

Reactions: Deadeye and Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Ya I had one change on me in my last go at raising Carpinitis. I have never been able to keep multiple male Swordtails in a 6ft 125. They always fight if more than one. As soon as the female started changing the original male started attacking. Had to move it into another tank.
20210504_113610.jpg
Here she is mid change. Still has the triangle fin females have, yet sword part of the tail is starting to grow.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Wow! Had no idea they could do that. The only fish I knew of doing that were anthias. My father had a group in his reef tank that did the exact same thing.
Many gobies do it as well.
And of course, clownfish are famous for it. There is a dominant female, and when one she goes, the subdominant male becomes the new female.

Reactions: Matth05

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Quick vid of the swordtails. I’m surprised how bold they are, they show almost no fear towards me. I took this vid minutes after a water change. It looks like I actually have 2 males and 4 females. The biggest males and females are pushing 2 inches but 2 of them are still only about an inch.
A day after getting them I noticed that some of them unfortunately have white stringy poop which I then learned is most likely internal parasites. I immediately looked up solutions and found RD’s sticky thread about treating with magnesium sulfate. I had some on hand so Ive been following along with the thread and two days later I’m seeing significant improvements. I do plan on grabbing some metroplex and medicated foods just in case though.
Most of the swords I ever had were pretty bold and so are mollies. Platies were somewhere inbetween.

Reactions: Matth05

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Yesterday was the last day of magnesium sulfate treatment for the swords. Gravel vac’d the entire tank today, didn’t see any stringy white poops. Gonna continue to monitor. No luck on the Hex Shield unfortunately, but got some metroplex coming in tomorrow just in case I need it.
Really staring to like these guys. They peck at my fingers now whenever I do water changes which is funny. Few more weeks of qt and scaping before I move Solo in.

Pic from today of the little stunner
DD69E2CD-9A6F-4466-A754-8BF9AA120B43.jpeg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Yesterday was the last day of magnesium sulfate treatment for the swords. Gravel vac’d the entire tank today, didn’t see any stringy white poops. Gonna continue to monitor. No luck on the Hex Shield unfortunately, but got some metroplex coming in tomorrow just in case I need it.
Really staring to like these guys. They peck at my fingers now whenever I do water changes which is funny. Few more weeks of qt and scaping before I move Solo in.

Pic from today of the little stunner
View attachment 1503384
Looks like he's getting a nice blush on his snout!

Reactions: Jexnell and Matth05
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store