"Confessions Of A MiniFishKeeper"

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
I highly doubt the vast majority of the MFK members started off with mega tanks and gargantuan species. On that note, I greatly suspect that many members are keeping beautiful little secrets!
So here is your chance to confess and come clean without any threat of punishment.

Show us the little things you've been hiding!

The rules are simple!
1. Your picture of your tank or bowl.
2. 10 Gallons or less!
3. One line stating the size.

That's it! Nothing more.
We'll try and figure out what's in there on our own.

I'll start with 3 of my own.
P121414_1718b(0001).jpg
2.6 gallon Deep Blue Products 5B Betta tank.

011000_1951[00].jpg
6 gallon

DSCN2696.JPG
10 gallon

Next confessor please.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Ahhh I recently broke down my small tanks, otherwise I'd have shared my dwarf puffer set up, and betta tank :)

Nice tanks though! Just shows that it isn't mandatory to have a massive set up to enjoy the hobby :)

Reactions: Oxymus

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I keep Glofish and im not afraid to say it!!!! Don't beat me up UnstoppableJayD UnstoppableJayD

Here is an old video. 7 gallon.

Hahah I have 2.5 gallon shrimp tank image.jpg

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Your GloFish need a bit more space- they're skirt tetras, which can reach at least 2.5" long in the right circumstances, as well as being rather bulky. Also, they can be a bit nippy/predatory, so your frogs might start losing some toes. That pleco (rubberlip?) will also need a lot more space.

I've never had a good tank smaller than 10g (had a couple of lousy tiny betta tanks, but those don't count as decent- should have researched. Also, that was years ago, and I no longer have them or any records), but I have kept chili and phoenix rasboras. They're about the smallest fish available in the hobby, maxing out at a hair over half an inch long. The males often stop growing at about a centimeter. They're pretty cool, but unfortunately they're very easy to lose to other fish- pretty sure anything over 2" could eat them. I'd actually rather like a fairly large tank with a few hundred of them in it, maybe with a few sparkling gouramis or wild bettas to keep them schooling together. Maybe keep them next to a warmouth tank for contrast.

Actually, up until February of this year, the only fish I'd kept that got considerably over 3" was a goldfish in a 30g- damned Petland sold it to me in a bowl. I had a female betta reach about 3.5", but everything else I tried was 2" or under, with most fish only about 1" or so.
And then I got a green sunfish (contaminant in a Petsmart shipment of feeder goldfish) and fell for him. I didn't keep him, he was going to get large and mean, but I did get longear sunfish instead.
Now I have a sunfish tank that's soon going to become a large-things-I-like tank, and I have a smaller oddball tank in the works for a leaf-fish and an African butterfly- possibly more. Oops?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Your GloFish need a bit more space- they're skirt tetras, which can reach at least 2.5" long in the right circumstances, as well as being rather bulky. Also, they can be a bit nippy/predatory, so your frogs might start losing some toes. That pleco (rubberlip?) will also need a lot more space.

I've never had a good tank smaller than 10g (had a couple of lousy tiny betta tanks, but those don't count as decent- should have researched. Also, that was years ago, and I no longer have them or any records), but I have kept chili and phoenix rasboras. They're about the smallest fish available in the hobby, maxing out at a hair over half an inch long. The males often stop growing at about a centimeter. They're pretty cool, but unfortunately they're very easy to lose to other fish- pretty sure anything over 2" could eat them. I'd actually rather like a fairly large tank with a few hundred of them in it, maybe with a few sparkling gouramis or wild bettas to keep them schooling together. Maybe keep them next to a warmouth tank for contrast.

Actually, up until February of this year, the only fish I'd kept that got considerably over 3" was a goldfish in a 30g- damned Petland sold it to me in a bowl. I had a female betta reach about 3.5", but everything else I tried was 2" or under, with most fish only about 1" or so.
And then I got a green sunfish (contaminant in a Petsmart shipment of feeder goldfish) and fell for him. I didn't keep him, he was going to get large and mean, but I did get longear sunfish instead.
Now I have a sunfish tank that's soon going to become a large-things-I-like tank, and I have a smaller oddball tank in the works for a leaf-fish and an African butterfly- possibly more. Oops?
Will need and need are two different things.

Also why are you blaming a company trying to make money for not doing your research?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
There is an entire sub forum on mini monsters. It is listed under misc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store