Considering a Tropical Pond

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
One of the problems with the permabeads is that you can't backwash with too much pressure or they will get blown out of the filter. And backwashing with low pressure takes a lot longer and uses more water (which I don't have much of). So I decided to try something to allow me to backwash at high pressure.
I used 2 pieces of 1/8th" plastic mesh held together with zip ties and a couple of of plastic flanges.

You can see how filthy the media is.

The flanges keep the screen from laying directly on top of the media.

Seems to work fairly well. I did a long backwash at full pressure and only a few handfulls of beads were blown out. I think I have around a cubic foot more beads than I need in the filter. So if I stop blowing out any beads after a few backwashes I'll be happy. I made a large bag out of shade cloth to put at the end of the backwash hose so I can collect any beads that are blown out and keep track of how much I lose.

Weathermen say there is a chance for a tropical system to come our way next week and ease this drought. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
I also replaced the regular pool jets with eductors to increase the flow a bit and give me more control directing the flow.

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Shade cloth over the pond helps control long hair. A lot of koi club members build patio structures over the pond. Sometimes only half of the pond.
I may do that someday. I have planted banana trees along one side of the pool and I think they'll provide some decent shade next year when they are big enough. Although I think I wouldn't have too much of an algae problem if I was able to do regular maintenance.

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Well there's not much to take pics of. The water is still dyed dark blue so it's hard to get pics of any fish. And we're still in a ridiculous drought so it's all I can do just to keep it topped off. I have about 25% of the water covered with styrofoam sheets to cut down on evaporation. So it's not much to look at for now.

Lambrakopoulos

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
USA
You should get Masheers they can tolerate cold water, since their cold water fish themselves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store