Considering a Tropical Pond

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
I'd look for a pump with more turnover for less power requirements.

a 2hp motor will consume 1.5-2kw and wont be designed for 24/7 365 operation like a pond pump will be. you'd likely end up with a failed pump down the road and be in the same boat as far as water quality save for the lot of dead fish lol.

if rebuilding the motor doesn't cost too much and you don't mind the 70-80$ a month addition to your powerbill then you could keep that system running with the original pump and add a second filter loop for more turnover and aeration. (ie a waterfall)

this would also give you redundancy to protect your fish should your pool pump fail again.

found a could that aren't too abd on power for the gph
http://cgi.ebay.com/Waterfall-Pond-...in_0?hash=item5633d48312&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/Waterfall-Pond-...in_0?hash=item56340b3f42&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/7800-GPH-Founta...in_0?hash=item4147f4b324&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

they are all submersable, however you can simply remove the grill to use them in line.

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
That's a really great point yogurt_21, I hadn't thought about the energy cost of the pump. I found the specs on the old pump that's on there...20 amps! So I won't be getting that rebuilt.

I called some pump manufacturers (jacuzzi, sequence) to see what type of pump they would recommend for this and the problem with the low energy pumps is they won't handle the head pressure of the 350lbs of sand in the filter or produce enough pressure to backflush it. They have some multi speed pumps that will work so I can keep water running through the filter with a low flow and not use too much energy (2-3 amps) and then occasionally run it on high flow for mechanical filtration. So then I'll have to add a second low pressure high flow pump for circulation and to run a bog/biological filter.

pondkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2009
Pacific NorthWest
Yes, they are correct about driving the pressurized pool filter.
Ideally, you could tap off the intake and run the continuous low pressure pump into a bog and waterfall, like you were thinking.

A good bog filter should do the trick, combined with a waterfall. You could use the pool filter for the once a week finishing touch

I have no conventional filter on my ornamental pond. I run the water to a waterfall that empties into a stream. The stream is divided into 2 settling tanks by walls that come up just below the water level. It then empties into a marginal shelf full of Iris and then into the main pond. It stays perfectly clear. But I do have Lilies in the main pond area as well.

In your case, you wouldn't have any place for plants inside the main pond unless you built up a marginal shelf. Well there are some Lotus that will grow in 3 ft of water so you could plant them in the shallow end.
You could also make a floating plant island!

Your pool should convert nicely with the flagstone edges and curved shape.
I would go for it! :)

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
And so it finally begins. Yuck, what a smelly mess...

I've decided where I will put the bog filter. I will use one or maybe two 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tanks. I have a question on bog filters though, the designs I have seen say to put gravel on top of the incoming pipes and then put sand on top of the gravel. Do you have to put sand or can you just use gravel? Will bog plants grow in gravel? I don't know squat about pond plants.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
I only used gravel in my bog filter, and the plants are growing just fine. Matter of fact, I have to cull out plants at least every two weeks or they choke down the flow, or start overflowing the bog filter itself.

Arapaimaman

In Loving Memory
Aug 27, 2005
Central Florida
I use pea gravel in my large sand filter.I read a report a university study on the best type of filter medium that would hold the most bacteria on it's surface.Pea gravel came in first.I have one on my 15,000 gallon tank and it works perfect.

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Conner;4444582; said:
I only used gravel in my bog filter, and the plants are growing just fine. Matter of fact, I have to cull out plants at least every two weeks or they choke down the flow, or start overflowing the bog filter itself.
Thanks Conner, I really didn't want to use sand. What type of plants do you have in your bog filter?

Also anyone have recommedations on floating plants? I thought I would get some 36" diameter floating fish barriers and hook them to the sides. Water lettuce is illegal in Texas and I was hoping to use some kind of cold hardy floating plants.

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
fishbum;4444658; said:
Are you keeping the diving board?

Awesome project. Do you have any stocking plans?
Yeah, If nothing else I can put some big potted plants on it. It's super rigid, doesn't budge when I jump on it.

This past winter pretty much convinced me to give up on trying to keep tropicals. So probably koi and some albino channel cats. and maybe some other natives. I thought striped bass would be cool but I don't know how aggressive they are towards each other or other fish. I thought I might try a sturgeon but not sure if it could take the summers though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store