Convict and turtle

zackyc416

Feeder Fish
Aug 10, 2018
Hey guys. This is my first post here but i'm definitely not new to the hobby. I just moved a tank from my bedroom into my office and I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I know this topic has been brought up multiple times but this is a completely different discussion. I have a male convict with a male red ear slider (about 5-6 inches). I have a pair of convicts I'm growing out until breeding size for live food (I prefer not to get hate for it but if it has to come fire away) I'm thinking about keeping a female and growing her out for my boy that lives with my turtle. (fish name is Ted Turtle is Ed) Any reason why this would be a bad idea? Ted and Ed have learned to respect each others spaces and don't get into it as much as they used to. Ted has a cave he can go in to and does use it to escape Ed when he's not feeling it. Ted is a mature 5" male he's about a year old.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys. This is my first post here but i'm definitely not new to the hobby. I just moved a tank from my bedroom into my office and I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I know this topic has been brought up multiple times but this is a completely different discussion. I have a male convict with a male red ear slider (about 5-6 inches). I have a pair of convicts I'm growing out until breeding size for live food (I prefer not to get hate for it but if it has to come fire away) I'm thinking about keeping a female and growing her out for my boy that lives with my turtle. (fish name is Ted Turtle is Ed) Any reason why this would be a bad idea? Ted and Ed have learned to respect each others spaces and don't get into it as much as they used to. Ted has a cave he can go in to and does use it to escape Ed when he's not feeling it. Ted is a mature 5" male he's about a year old.
Welcome aboard

Convicts for their size will defend the eggs, wriggler's or fry against fish 5 times the Convicts size. The turtle will most likely will be in harm's way every time it ventured into the area with the parents and fry. Personally wouldn't want the healthy Red Ear Slider to get infection's or possibly get killed.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
would you not benefit from breeding something like crayfish for feeders? Cheaper, more nutritious, and certain species are self-cloning, though not sure if possibly illegal where you are, I know they are here in the UK.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hello,
The main risk IMO is that the turtle will attack the convicts. If you are ok with that risk and confident that the turtle will not, then give it a shot. I would be very surprised if the convicts could do any damage to a larger RES. The other concern is water quality: turtles make the water dirtier than many fish can withstand, pretty quickly. If it is a large enough tank (I would say around 75-100 gallons min) and you do large weekly water changes at least, you may be just fine.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I've kept a lot of turtles with fish,should be fine given enough space and clean water

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store