Convict Genetics?

cage623

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2011
Iowa
This may be a very simple question to answer but oh well. I just separated a pair of my convicts into a 55 gallon tank... 3 inch pink female and 4 inch black male... how do I know what the likely hood of getting pink offspring is?
Did I miss something? The OP never said anything about marbled. Marbled from what I understand is different genetics then pink. The offspring's genetics will depend on the genetics of the Black male (AA or Aa). If AA all the offspring will be black, if Aa then half the offspring will be black, half pink.

-Cage

BC in SK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2008
canada
Did I miss something? The OP never said anything about marbled.
That is true, the Op's question is not about marbled.

But the 2nd part, or 2nd paragraph of Modest Man's post certainly is about marbled, and is in fact, false. Incorrect, as I have pointed out in my last post.

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
You are correct that I assumed his comment "My Black Convict female doesn't have the Marbled gene" to mean the female is homozygous dominant.

BC in SK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2008
canada
I assumed his comment "My Black Convict female doesn't have the Marbled gene" to mean the female is homozygous dominant.
I see now, looking back that there is underlining of part of a qoute as well , and suggests that, so actually a reasonable assumption.

Just pointing out that a striped parent need not carry the marbled gene in order to produce marbled offspring, depending on who it is crossed to.

cage623

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2011
Iowa
At least you guys are having a civil discussion and not getting all defensive like some other threads on there. Glad we can all be adults and learn from each other. That is what this is all about anyways.

-Cage

BC in SK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2008
canada
Yes, that is what aquarium and fish fourum is all about!

Learned a lot from this thread , thanks to starovarius' link. Cant' say i learned anything from the sections on jellybean and blood parrot.....but the sections on marbled have shed light on what i had previously wondered and had no clue!Thank you, staratrovaroius for the link!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store