convict info

forsaken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2007
Ohio
ok so i have a 29 gallon tank rock sunstrate a $150 filter (for a 40g tank) a few fake plants etc. a heater, and a light. I was wondering if i could house a pair of convicts in the tank and if so what do they eat? like will they eat worms or any other live food? and will they nip at my fingers when i put them in the tank? I HOPE SO lol i like it

sour_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2006
Toronto
You should be fine with a pair of convicts. They eat all sorts of fish food, try pellets or flakes. Not sure about the nipping you.. maybe when they are breeding cause they get very territorial. Good luck!

kendrew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2009
Fall River Ma.
i would go with a 2 pairs...but one will work too...lol...
as for nipping...they will when in breeding mode!!!! trust me.... i just got bit by mine a couple days ago while cleaning the tank....it doesnt hurt...just startles...also if you snap under water when they come near it will send the meanest fish running..
diet: worms are cool...but they will need a pellet food to thrive as well...and they love feeder fish!!! the smaller the better!
keep us posted...

electropunk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2009
iowa
mine love tubifex worms too...i give em some every other day and when i do they go nuts...i also feed them pellets, brine shrimp & bloodworms

rhettdepauw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Iowa City
www.rhettdepauw.com
a pair would be great but i would be careful about two pairs in a 29. A spawning pair of these guys will beat on a fish of any size and most likely make their lives hell. I say this just because i recenlty put 2 pairs in a 29 gallon myself and one the dominant pair spawned the other pair were very unhappy and getting pushed around.

My male does all the nipping, i cant go near the tank without him getting ready to pounce on me. he only does this when he has fry to take care of though. I feed them hikari pellets, feeder guppies, blood wormd and the occasional beefheart.

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
kendrew;3158361; said:
i would go with a 2 pairs...but one will work too...lol...
as for nipping...they will when in breeding mode!!!! trust me.... i just got bit by mine a couple days ago while cleaning the tank....it doesnt hurt...just startles...also if you snap under water when they come near it will send the meanest fish running..
diet: worms are cool...but they will need a pellet food to thrive as well...and they love feeder fish!!! the smaller the better!
keep us posted...
haha ya i fed my 1.5 inch convicts .25 inch feeders and they ate em till they couldnt fit any more down :ROFL:

forsaken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2007
Ohio
ty guys ty

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store