Cool Pickup!!!

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Polypterus;1772000; said:
A chiclet
I'm considering posting a new thread about how many rocket gars I can keep in my 30G with my needlefish every time you call them "chiclets" haha NOW back to gars :)

Glad to hear the gar is eating, want to see some pics when he's nice and fat. On the gill curl issue would vitamin supplementation help? I'm a longtime herp guy and we gut-load our food with calcium etc, would that work with gars? Is that something that's been done (otherwise how would you know how much to use?) I would think it would be fairly easy to get some additional nutrients into a market shrimp for example.

ani-mal-lvr

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
NAWTHWOODS, WI.
demjor19;1769375; said:
he just ate a whole shrimp about 5 minutes ago!!! i may go for one more piece tonight, but i feel pretty good about the road were on now!

his tankmates were a 14" lima shovelnose and a 12-13 inch common pleco.

ill keep you all updated on the shorty!
demjor19;1769829; said:
he just took a second piece of shrimp and almost picked another up off the ground on his own! i think this shorty is going to be a looker in no time!!!
Kewl beanz Jordan!!!! That is awesome newz!!!! Was it raw or the precooked? I use both, dependin on which is on "sale".

Ok yea, I seen yer other thread bout the Lima. Kinda figured they came from the same home/tank.

DanProwse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
UK
Polypterus;1771987; said:
I can't help but to notice a past tense here... What happened to the fish and how long did you have it?
We got rid of the shorty recently due to changing our tanks around and the comparatively small adult size of the shortnose would have meant keeping it would have been risking it becoming a feeder.
I'd quite like to do a shortnose species tank when i have the space for more good sized tanks, but due to the skittish nature of the species in general i'm not too sure how well it'd work as i've not seen it done before, and the fact i've never actually seen them for sale over here (we actually ordered a florida/spotted and when it arrived it was actually a shortnose).

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
CTU2fan;1772044; said:
I'm considering posting a new thread about how many rocket gars I can keep in my 30G with my needlefish every time you call them "chiclets" haha NOW back to gars :)

Glad to hear the gar is eating, want to see some pics when he's nice and fat. On the gill curl issue would vitamin supplementation help? I'm a longtime herp guy and we gut-load our food with calcium etc, would that work with gars? Is that something that's been done (otherwise how would you know how much to use?) I would think it would be fairly easy to get some additional nutrients into a market shrimp for example.
yeah this was discussed by richard and myself recently. im not going to try them until the shortnose is eating more consistantly...getting it to feed is still like pulling teeth. i just kind of sit here watching tv and whenever the fish settles back to the bottom i continue dangling shrimp and smelt in front of it's face. i got a few more strikes out of him tonight, but it didnt pull it off the feeding stick. will continue trying for a while...:popcorn:

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
I'd quite like to do a shortnose species tank when i have the space for more good sized tanks, but due to the skittish nature of the species in general i'm not too sure how well it'd work as i've not seen it done before
I generally keep mine species only. One thing I've noticed about this species is they seem to relate numbers to safety. Larger the group of them the calmer they are. Likely going to set up a tank containing them shad, redhorse and quillback suckers in the near future. Should be a rather interesting tank.

DanProwse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2007
UK
Polypterus;1773094; said:
I generally keep mine species only. One thing I've noticed about this species is they seem to relate numbers to safety. Larger the group of them the calmer they are. Likely going to set up a tank containing them shad, redhorse and quillback suckers in the near future. Should be a rather interesting tank.
Sounds like it could work quite well then, I may have to look into that when our 8ft tank currently being used as a growout tank is empty.

ESJBond007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2007
Southgate Michigan
nice looking short nose gar you have there..

flemming

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2008
netherlands
nice gar

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
thanks guys!