Cop. Virginalis Elongate Luwalla Reef Info Needed

Alton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2011
Warren, Pa
I am courious if anyone can help me with some information on these guys. I recently got a group of them and would like to find some information on them. I have searched the internet and found very little info on them. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Alton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2011
Warren, Pa
I will be getting them this coming Tuesday and will post a pic of them. I have only found 2 pics on the internet and one was posted for me and they other was from the Netherlands. So I am thinking these guys are extremely rare. Not sure if anyone has any

Robulus153

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
Greenville SC
Please put those pictures on here because i couldn't find them online or a good one of a male. I am trying to gather information on cichlid as well that is pretty new. Are you getting these in from another country or some one here in the US? I did find this which you probably already saw but will share

Copadichromis sp."virginalis elongate" is living in open water, nearby the intermediate zones from rocks to sand. This is a slender species from the virginalis-complex which is just seldom seen in the lake. The species on these pictures were cought near Luwala Reef.

In the lake the males of these species can grow to 18 cm, in the aquarium however they can grow a little taller because of a good feeding. The males can then grow to about 20 cm, females grow to about 14 cm.

Copadichromis sp."virginalis elongate" mainly is living like similar species in open water where it`s feeding itself with plankton.
You can best keep this species with multiple females in a large tank with a lot of swimming space.

In the aquarium they are comfortable with any food. They take everything they get offered, like spirulina pellets, mysis, artemia, cyclops and shrimp-peas mix.

Alton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2011
Warren, Pa
These are F1's from Germany (Supposedly they are eggs harvested and raised from wild caughts) and I did read that article awhile ago. That is kind of a generic profile for any Copadichromis. I do agree these guys are tough to find a pic of. I researched that myself and found 2 Juvie pics and one was posted for me so I could see the fish I was getting. The other was from the Netherlands. I know they are very rare and not much past they are like most Cop's. I will post a pic Tuesday night after I get them in the tank.

Just to add to your article from what I have gathered. Cop's primarly breed 3 months a year and have max 18 per batch. It is possible to get 3 batches a year but very rare for it to happen. With tank raised it has been known for them to breed all year long but can not be expected. They love to feed on plankton free swimming in the water. Almost all males will dig a pit to breed but tank raised have been known to not do this. They require lots of open area to swim with mostly sand bottom and enjoy rocks at one end. Breeding in captivity is not easily accomplished.

I can not say I agree with all of this but is what I have found so far about the Copadichromis species. I can say everyone I have talked too does agree they are tough to breed in a tank. Right now I am considering these guys my biggest challenge to date in breeding.

Alton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2011
Warren, Pa
Fish are delayed for shipping. I will post when they arrive. Still hoping for this week.

Alton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2011
Warren, Pa
I got these guys in today and here is a pic of one of the males. He has slight coloring but I am sure will look much better in a year.
IMG_1493.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

Alton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2011
Warren, Pa
I agree Mike, there is next to no info on these guys. But I had a chance to get them and did. There was 12 brought into the USA and I got 7 of them. So I definately have a nice group of them. What I was told is these guys are from eggs stripped from wild caught females from the lake. I still have not seen an Adult pic of them yet so I have no clue what they will look like in full color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store