Corner tank shot of bichir substrate.

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Haha do it! How big is that tank and what's your filtration like? That water is crystal clear!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Filtration includes two big sumps connected together. In sump one there are two bio towers full of sintered glass (bio homme and serra siporax exclusively) with plenty of filter floss for mechanical. Sump two is basically two refugiums..... With one being filled with serra siporax and a koralia 6 for water movement within the chamber, 2nd chamber has 4 BIG sponge filters runned by a big air pump. About $600 worth in sintered glass alone. Live plants (pathos) running on 6700k lights 12 hours on off. Two koralia mag 8's in the tank for water movement. In addition an eheim 2262 with filter floss for mechanical and the rest filled with serra siporax. I have a very tall stand so very easy to maintain.

Reactions: evabug1

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Filtration includes two big sumps connected together. In sump one there are two bio towers full of sintered glass (bio homme and serra siporax exclusively) with plenty of filter floss for mechanical. Sump two is basically two refugiums..... With one being filled with serra siporax and a koralia 6 for water movement within the chamber, 2nd chamber has 4 BIG sponge filters runned by a big air pump. About $600 worth in sintered glass alone. Live plants (pathos) running on 6700k lights 12 hours on off. Two koralia mag 8's in the tank for water movement. In addition an eheim 2262 with filter floss for mechanical and the rest filled with serra siporax. I have a very tall stand so very easy to maintain.
Damn dude. That's probably 1 of the gnarliest filtration setups I've ever heard of. Props

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Damn dude. That's probably 1 of the gnarliest filtration setups I've ever heard of. Props

Thanx...... it did take lots of tweaking to get it to where I wanted and I still feel I can improve my filtration....... it never ends..... especially with such a high bioload and future bichir additions. In this tank alone I go through 2 bags of massivore every month, several pounds of earthworms, and 4 to 5 fillets of tilapia per feeding. Planning on adding more pathos and might add a baki style waterfall/filter over the tank. Sounds like overkill but all the good bacteria need a good home..... anywhere but inside my main tank..... I also add macro/micro nutrients every other day.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
HOARDER! ;-)
what do you mean by "macro/micro nutrients"?

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
HOARDER! ;-)
what do you mean by "macro/micro nutrients"?
Nah, plenty of bichirs out there for everyone..... but since bichirs is no longer the "IN" thing, not too many people willing to spend money on the more expensive species.

Fresh Trace by Seachem. One of the many reasons we do water changes is to replenish nutrients and minerals that the fish need to grow and function properly like digesting food. When the bio load is super high relative to your normal fish load, the nutrients in the water deplete SUPER quick. One way to solve this problem is to do water changes on a daily basis or replenish those nutrients with a product like Fresh Trace. This is one of the reasons there is a misconception that super high bio loads will lead to stunted growth or slow development..... in part it's true unless done correctly. My fish eat like pigs and I have great growth rate with all of my fish. It can be done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store