Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
depends on the personality of the fish.

Bwbahrenburg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2012
Round Rock, Texas
i would say yes and you shouldn't have any problems. I have a 14" florida spotted gar for over a year now and he lives with a FW eel, Jack Dempsey, Tinfoil barb, a Bichir, 2 Plecos and a baby turtle. The gar has not attacked, nudged or nipped at any of them. The only worry i have is any fish that you have nipping at the gars fins. Gar tend to sit motionless for hours and can be picked on. I had a bad experience with a cichlid that ate his pectoral fins off so i had to get rid of the cichlid. The gar is now healthy and made a full recovery. Long story short i think you should be fine. They are great fish to have and is a great addition to a tank. Plus they are awesome to watch feed and chase down feeders.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
There is lots of potential for aggression from these tankmates.

Silver aros can be a problem and aggression can go either way. Could be the gar attacking the aro or the aro attacking the gar. Either way the results have the potential to end badly.

Clown knife can be aggressive, would really vary on the individual fishes temperaments.

Peacock bass are very aggressive feeders and could spook the gar at feeding time. This can result in a broken back or dead gar.

Pike cichlid can again be aggressive which could result in a broken back or a dead gar.

Plecos can potentially suck the slime coat of the gar. Only takes one time to potentially be fatal. And once they get the taste for slime coat they usually continue to try and eat the slime coat. Also this is a known problem with polys and plecos as well.

Personally I'd skip the gar.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I've had multiple silver aros and multiple FL gar and they all did well together. My main concern would be the venny pike as they can be nasty and very territorial.

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
I've had multiple silver aros and multiple FL gar and they all did well together. My main concern would be the venny pike as they can be nasty and very territorial.
Yeah the Pike defintely gets aggressive even with my endlicheris. Beautiful but might have to get rid of him

nono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
indonesia
i agree with depend on fish personality said.i have a FLG too,but still around 30 cm and i put him with a RTG aro which already over a foot,but there is no issue between them,except early time after i put the FLG into my tank.don't know about silver aro though,but i suppose it should be similar,since people usually said that RTG can be very aggresive sometimes compare to silver

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store