Couple of Mable Pims? (to confirm)

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Hello Everyone,

I had these guys for two weeks now. Got them at 4" now pushing 5" - very fast growing. I was told at LFS that these a marble catfish (i have seens 'marble pim' name floating around MFK).

I requests that the experts confirm the name (+scientific name).

LFS told me that the max size is 2' (much smaller than RTC), is it true? I did not touch it but does it have spines?

It does not seem to eat pellets nor feeders. Goes for crickets only. These guys are not shy and they are not afraid of aros at all. Sit at the bottom if there is no food but goes berzerk when cricket hits the water (how does it know). Cute vibrating whiskers when looking for food. Feeders seems to be nipping the tip of the their longest whiskers (should i be worried?).

PS: I hope these are not as monstrous like RTC, cause my outdoor set-up will not be able to house two more mosters after i add the remaining 2 paimas in (it is suprisingly starting to look crowded even now without the additinal paimas)

PS1: water is crystal clear actually. The glass has green algae on it. I leave it on purpose for BB and nitrate munching algae

DSC01057.JPG

DSC01164.JPG

DSC01168.JPG

DSC01175.JPG

DSC01176.JPG

DSC01178.JPG

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Definitely a marble pim Leiarius longibarbis(spelling). 2' is a conservative, and in your large tank I would think they could do 30" or more. I have some pics of rather large ones that I'll have to look up for you. They are a great fish to own. Rather personable, and will eventually eat from your hand. They do have spines as do most(90%) of all catfish. They are on the leading edge of the pectoral fin. They do have a hardened fin ray at the leading edge of their dorsal fin also, but it's not as sharp, thick, or sturdy as the ones on it's pectoral fins. Feeder nipping shouldn't hurt them and any damage will quickly grow back. They will take a wide variety of foods including market shrimp. Hope this helps some

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Yes, its a marbled pim...

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
shamrock;2231144; said:
Sweet fish-I am getting my tomorrow.
^^ i will be on the look out for pix

necrocanis;2231144; said:
Definitely a marble pim Leiarius longibarbis(spelling). 2' is a conservative, and in your large tank I would think they could do 30" or more. I have some pics of rather large ones that I'll have to look up for you. They are a great fish to own. Rather personable, and will eventually eat from your hand. They do have spines as do most(90%) of all catfish. They are on the leading edge of the pectoral fin. They do have a hardened fin ray at the leading edge of their dorsal fin also, but it's not as sharp, thick, or sturdy as the ones on it's pectoral fins. Feeder nipping shouldn't hurt them and any damage will quickly grow back. They will take a wide variety of foods including market shrimp. Hope this helps some
Thanks alot for the info, dude. As it happens, one of my RTC was checking out my hand with its whiskers on Sunday. It stuck the whiskers out of the water and was basically feeling my fingers (yes, i was feeding may be that's why it was checking out - may be my maid was handfeeding them) ... i did not gather enough courage to stick my finger in ... with toothy gars circling and all lol.

I think i ll have to start making arrangement to construct the pond like my neighbors (gotta think how to fit in a viewing window - i like to look at the fish sideways, cats and paimas)... my outdoor set-up is starting to look crowded (pix coming up soon) with paima really starting to grow. It will not support two more fully grown marbles + 2 more paimas...<sigh>

Anyway, a project for this dry season i suppose. the fish should also slow down their eating (and hopefully growth too - that buys me several months) with arrival of cooler weather

spunjin;2231144; said:
Sweet cat. I like the Arrowanas also.
Thanx ^^ None of the fish in this tank are fond of feeders for some reason. They are all hooked on crickets (though aros accept hikari and small frogs) I must admit i was very supprised by lack of interests on marble pims toward feeders

Gr8KarmaSF;2231144; said:
Yes, its a marbled pim...
Thanks ^^ Gotta love those long whiskers ... i wonder if "longibarbis" means "long whiskers" lol

Cichla dude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2008
Springfield MA
www.facebook.com
Nice I like those Aros!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store