Crayfish for food source

Venom Stinger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2006
Arlington,Va.
i am not too worried about it really....i used to put a bait trap in a local lake and caught baby blue glue and fed them to my rays..
but same thing has happened to me..i went to the same lps and got a small crayfish..as soon as my pearl found it..it was gone..
but she hasnt touched these crayfish.

talking about crayfish has made me hungry.

fhawk362

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2009
Royal palm beach, FL
It's funny cause when feeding crawdads I have the least amount of success, depends on the fish for me, my jag will eat most the ones I put in, my pbass and jacks don't seem to eat any even though they try. I don't get it either, maybe cause of their hard shells, or they move a lot, may be harder to eat. As far as parasites, I've been feeding my fish all types of critters out of local lakes since I started and have never had any problems.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Id rather catch a fresh crawfish out of a creek then buy one thats in a dirty nasty small tank with 20 others at a lfs! I feed my p's a crawfish every other week or so and they love em but i dont clip the claws, i have had one in my tank they dont mess with and its about 5" or so.

#1 S. Vettel

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Id rather catch a fresh crawfish out of a creek then buy one thats in a dirty nasty small tank with 20 others at a lfs!

Damn rights !!

The crayfish are more likely to be infested with parasites and diesease in a small incubator aka aquarium vs a clean creek or lake.

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
Where do people think wild rays or other fish get their food source? I'd have a quarantine tank personally but thats really not a bad idea. I live in Kentucky so I might start doing this as well.

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
Wow bunch of bs.
Where do u think the pet shop gets the crayfish from. I've caught lots of crayfish from areas of heavily populated areas that has a mercury consumption advisory on eating fish from the river.my rays are fine.
If your worried about parasites keep them in quarantine for a month with very clean water and threat them with flubendazole . That will 100% kill any parasite ,it may even kill some of the crayfish.
Agreed-but don't feed the salamander- they contain toxins

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Wild rays eat wild crayfish, they are exposed to and carry the same parasites. In a clean tank our rays should not carry parasites and could be overwhelmed by the introduction of parasites from a wild caught source. Wild caught rays often die of parasites in captivity due to stress.

I personally would not feed wild caught cray fish to my rays. I wouldn't feed ones from lfs if I wasn't 100 sure of their safety either...this is why good frozen food is safe as it is gamma radiated.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Wild rays eat wild crayfish, they are exposed to and carry the same parasites. In a clean tank our rays should not carry parasites and could be overwhelmed by the introduction of parasites from a wild caught source. Wild caught rays often die of parasites in captivity due to stress.

I personally would not feed wild caught cray fish to my rays. I wouldn't feed ones from lfs if I wasn't 100 sure of their safety either...this is why good frozen food is safe as it is gamma radiated.

My shrimp are from thialand they are not gamma radiated . Just frozen . I thought my ray was starting to turn a bit green like the incredible hulk though lol jk

And theirs no way your tanks cleaner than the amazon lol no body's is.aquariums are incubators for bacteria.especailly you guys in Europe keeping your rays a really unnatural high temps.your basically keeping your rays in a bacterial incubator .

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
So frozen foods could turn my ray into incredible hulk ??? Gamma radiation really!
My shrimp are from thialand they are not gamma radiated .

And theirs no way your tanks cleaner than the amazon lol no body's is.aquariums are incubators for bacteria.especailly you guys in Europe keeping your rays a really unnatural high temps.your basically keeping your rays in a bacterial incubator .
I expect your Thailand "shrimp" are1) frozen before they come to you, thus killing parasites 2) actually prawns from salt water with little chance of the parasite living in fresh water?

Have a look at this http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4470146...seafood-reaching-american-tables-experts-say/. And yes I know you are not in USA, it's about the imports of shrimp from Thailand.

Yes my rays are fed gamma irradiated food. The amazon has a much higher BACTERIAL count than my tank I would bet but for certain is has a much higher PARASITE count which is what we are discussing.

For the record I run 2xslow flow uv STERALISERS and keep my rays at 80....any other sweeping statements?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store