CRAYFISH PREAGNANT

WILLAM WALLACE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2020
my crayfish is preagnant...
I have removed the name

I can see the babies eyes so how many more days should I expect till the showdown??And what precautions should I take??

Plz help and support

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Pics would be nice, Are the parents together? I would also add an anti bacterial medicine

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
my crayfish is preagnant...
I have removed the name

I can see the babies eyes so how many more days should I expect till the showdown??And what precautions should I take??

Plz help and support
Pics would be nice, Are the parents together? I would also add an anti bacterial medicine
What is going on here? You removed what name? What does that even mean? What do you mean by showdown?

Kolton13 Kolton13 why would you add antibiotics?

Crayfish eggs hatch in about 3 weeks from fertilization. Crayfish babies are self sufficient from birth. In a close space without good hiding spots the parents can eat the babies.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
What is going on here? You removed what name? What does that even mean? What do you mean by showdown?

Crayfish eggs hatch in about 3 weeks from fertilization. Crayfish babies are self sufficient from birth. In a close space without good hiding spots the parents can eat the babies.
You would use an anti biotic incase of egg fungus or any babies that died and what not.

Reactions: WILLAM WALLACE

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
You would use an anti biotic incase of egg fungus or any babies that died and what not.
That is not a typical issue with crayfish and shrimp as they carry their eggs under their tail and fan them constantly with their swimerettes. Infact antibiotics can be dangerous to crustations. Any dead babies will be eaten by other babies or the mother.

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
That is not a typical issue with crayfish and shrimp as they carry their eggs under their tail and fan them constantly with their swimerettes. Infact antibiotics can be dangerous to crustations. Any dead babies will be eaten by other babies or the mother.
oh interesting, figured that would be a good thing. Thanks for clarifying

Reactions: WILLAM WALLACE

WILLAM WALLACE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2020
i meant

i meant male..
and by showdown I meant the day the babies would hatch..
I am sorry if I was not clear...

WILLAM WALLACE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2020
some babies have hatched and they are very small and by small I mean a millimetre...
are they supposed to be that small???
there are still eggs or should I say babies under the tail of the mother...
I have moved the mother to a separate and cycyled tank but she seems to have stopped the process midway....

By the way thanks for the replies...

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
some babies have hatched and they are very small and by small I mean a millimetre...
are they supposed to be that small???
there are still eggs or should I say babies under the tail of the mother...
I have moved the mother to a separate and cycyled tank but she seems to have stopped the process midway....

By the way thanks for the replies...
She has no control over the "process" once the eggs are laid and fertilized. All she does is protect and airrate the eggs/babies. She may not chase the babies out if you mess with her as she may perceive you or the move to new territory a threat, and the babies will also not want to leave if weird stuff and changes are going on. I've noticed that the females are less likely to prey on the babies then males. Once the babies are larger though all bets are off, and the babies can and will go after each other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store