Crayfish ?s

suepahfly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2007
Honor, MI
I have recently purchased a small crayfish (about 1.5-2") and have a few questions. I set up a nightlight on the tank so I can watch him at night. Last night it seemed he was trying to climb up the side of the tank to escape. It was quite amusing to watch because he kept flipping over and then trying again. Is this normal behavior for a crayfish?

Also, he doesn't seem to be eating a whole lot. The only thing I know he has eaten is part of an algee wafer. I have tried feeding him sinking shrimp pellets and also small pieces of shrimp. Of course, since he's nocturnal, he may be eating some and I just don't notice it. How often do crayfish eat and what all should I include in his diet?

Also, where can I find out what type of crayfish I have? His body is gray except for the tips of his claws, which are orange, or maybe red. By the way, I don't know the sex of the crayfish, I'm just referring to it as he.

Thanks for all the help in advance.
Lucas

Jess.in.WI

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
Abrams, WI
hi! my cray is pretty active during the day, that is, once food hits the tank! She comes runnin' and climbs all over everything trying to get her share.
I think you're doing well with the food; I also offer my cray algae wafers, shrimp pellets, and frozen freshwater mysis as well as frozen blood worms. That's a coveted treat for everyone in the tank.
How new is he? It takes them a little bit to check things out, find a good hidey hole and settle in.
pic? you can see mine in my post a few down...

suepahfly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2007
Honor, MI
I just got him 3 days ago. I put a cup in the tank that he has claimed as his "cave." He never comes out of the cave. The first time I have seen him out of it since the day I got him was last night. He's alone in a 5 gallon for the moment. I was thinking about getting 1 or 2 guppys in there for company, or food depending on what he thinks. I have a pic of him in his cave, but I haven't uploaded it yet. I'll probably do it later today.

me_wee_todded

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2006
Permian Basin
www.myspace.com
try giving it carrot or small pieces of bacon

suepahfly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2007
Honor, MI
Ok, I uploaded the pics, this is the best one I have of him.

Do you think he would be better in my 29g tank? I originally bought him to go in there, but my mom bought a common pleco to go in there. I was kinda mad because she didn't know that plecos can get to around 2 feet, but I told her that she will have to find a larger tank for it. The other fish in the tank are 3 goldfish, each about 2" long. The pleco is about the same size. I don't want any of the fish getting chopped in two, but would it be alright?

cray.JPG

Jess.in.WI

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
Abrams, WI
carrot? I guess so! I gave her a shaving and she jumped for it!

suepahfly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2007
Honor, MI
Well, my cray seems to be doing a lot better now. He's been out of his cave the past 2 nights and I've watched him crawl around. He seems to be eating more too.

Can anyone tell me what kind of cray he is though? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Lucas

brigri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
VT
Be careful how you choose its tankmates. Mine killed 2 bichirs in 2 days. Best left alone or with much bigger fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store