crayfish

cassd

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
montreal
So I have orange crayfish pretty sure they are clarkii and bought with the intent on breeding I put my female with my male and within one hour I came back and he had her pinned like I've seen on other websites.
Alright so my question is when will I see her berried with eggs or was it just a fail attempt? It's been about 40 min since I separate the male into another tank

20160309_172453.jpg 20160309_172453.jpg

TylerM

Feeder Fish
Mar 21, 2016
With my crayfish, I just let them go, I keep the males in the same tank, and if she has enough hiding spots, the eggs and babies will be fine.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I've always had to pull the males after they breed, otherwise the female was dead meat.

cassd

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
montreal
Lthey have spawned 3 times over the past 3 weeks I keep them separate I don't want the female to stress of she does have eggs but I still see no sign of her being berried

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Sometime the female will carry the sperm for a while until she deems it safe enough to berry up. It's a terrible waiting game.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
They can store enough sperm for 3 sets of eggs if i recall and berry up when ever she sees fit. Keep her tank clean and stable, give her a very dark cave and feed her lotsa protein. She will berry up in no time.

cassd

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
montreal
Small update my female is berried it's been about 2 weeks they started olive colored and are switching to black which I read is good only thing is it seemed like she had double the amount of eggs 2 weeks ago when first laid but there still is a ton

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Small update my female is berried it's been about 2 weeks they started olive colored and are switching to black which I read is good only thing is it seemed like she had double the amount of eggs 2 weeks ago when first laid but there still is a ton
Mine removed some when they carried them Always figured for whatever reason those ones were not gonna make it. You will enjoy seeing the sheet of orange running around her feet after they hatch If you want a lot of them to survive they need some kind of realy dense grass or something to hide in as the molt and grow a lot early on. Also Do some reaserch into half doses of marine iodine for your water it helps them molt without infections and complications ect....

Reactions: cassd
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store