MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal

smokeythebair

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2010
PA
I see both sides. I mean i don't think a fish should be put in a tank were he can't turn around, but they have to over stock! It is a business. I put some fish in my tanks and the next morning i was like :nilly: sorry buddy you look like hell and got him out. So it can go both ways

smokeythebair

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2010
PA
I mean they can't have a goldfish in a 125g and expect to make money lol. But like i said i understand both sides

smokeythebair

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2010
PA
Just don't give them your business. I mean if i go to a pizza shop and the pizza sucks, i don't go back. lol i don't know where im going with this I'll shut up now.

Chitala Ornata Mama

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Phoenix
I have brought the ruckus on a few places and had good results. I needed sun block one day, and dropped into a Walmart to grab some. The dept. that sold the sun block was right next to the pet supplies, so I took a gander at their fish. They had a 5g or so tank with about 6 ck's in it. It was bare bottom, no hiding places, and they were throwing flake food in there, which the ck's had no idea what to do with. The fish were starved, stressed, and in bad shape. I was on fire over it. I told the dept. employee, I told a couple of managers, I did all I could, but no one cared. So, I got mad. I called the general manager and the regional manager. I explained the situation, explained animal cruelty to them, etc... and told them that I absolutely would not drop the issue. They no longer sell ck's at that store.
I also came uncorked on a local Petco for torturing some poor little leopard geckos. It was an ugly mess. I need to see if I still have pics of the starved little guys. The manager ended up giving me 2 to see if I could save them, but they were too far gone. I did all I could. They were thinner than anoles with I took them. Conditions have improved greatly at that store as a result.
You have to word things well, and not drop the issue. You sometimes have to be a voice. It sounds cliche, but seriously, we have to be voices for things that have none. It isn't enough to just not support a business.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
thats sad i would report it also i do believe it is animal cruelty. if they intend to sell these animals the buyers will want them in tip top condition not sickly and stunted cause of the stores owner.

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
I understand overstocking fish in a temporary holding untill sale, and us hobbyists are the ones responsable inderectly for this and for overhunting them in the wild and for the stress they endure during transport. So all of our morality goes out the window cuz our money does this to our fish, so we can in the end trap it in a glass box and watch it. Thats just the way it is, it's human nature. On the other hand keeping an animal on display i.e. not for sale in a small/improper quarters and unnatural habitat is unexceptable, and not keeping their holding facilities clean also. You should tell this to the LFS, that u understand about the fish/ animals that r on sale being temporarely there but any animals on display must be given proper care and apropriate housing and all animals must have their habitats/ holding quarters cleaned if nothing else then to keep any infections from the customers as well as from the animals. In the end mention to the manager of the shop that if he fails to do so you will be forced to report him. Keep checking on the shop for a months or so and if he doesn't take ur advice then go ahead and report him.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
If u think its cruel and u have alot of $$ then buy EVERYTHING thats malnurished!! I mean u see them in such bad conditions so rescue them!!

Isnt that the point??! Isnt that a selling tool?

Point is they make money off of fish and they lose money on keeping them.

Complain vs doing something about it

#1 S. Vettel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store