Crazy Pleco

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
I have this pleco(don't know much about plecos but its got whiskers growing off its nose and its a light brown color) that never moves out of this one spot. All it does is chill upsidedown on this rock and never moves, it's never on the glass and it's VERY skiddish, if it sees any action at all it freaks and goes back under the rock(in the once weekly event that it leaves the underside of this rock) Is this normal, I've never seen a pleco this skiddish. How can it get any food(algae) if it keeps sucking on the same rock all day?

quix

Candiru
MFK Member
May 20, 2005
Singapore
that's probably a bristlenose from your description...
try dropping food in the dark..with a torchlight u can prob see it coming out to eat in the dark
but they can be trained to eat under full lightings..juz persist in feeding under strong lightings for 1 or 2 wks and most should get the idea..

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
whats a torchlight? I put algae wafers in the tank but it doesn't even pay attention to them, just keeps suckin on that rock

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Torchlight is brit speak for flashlight, it is probably a bristle nose like quix said and I thinking that it cruises at night, a lot of plecos don't do the algae cleaning routine very much, prefering to eat regular fish food and detritus when you are not around. Many cats are nocturnal.

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
Id say its either a bristlenose or Bushynose, but there pretty much the same, I have one, hes not real skiddish Ive seen mine attack a larger pleco. but they do hide alot. try putting in a piece of driftwood, they like that Especially if it has algae on it.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
tothna said:
whats a torchlight? I put algae wafers in the tank but it doesn't even pay attention to them, just keeps suckin on that rock
Zucchini is what you need. I've always used cucumbers in the past, but never noticed them going for it. Since the switch, these guys have become monsters. They go through a slice a day. Commercial algae wafers aren't very good, IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store