Creating Terrestrialized Polypterus : A proposal for a long term experiment in line breeding.

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
The theory is interesting, and I take no issue with academic discussion, comparing genomes, thought experiments etc. Where it feels to me like a line is being crossed is by trying to do a physical experiment on involuntary subjects and forcing them to "adapt" (try to survive) something they aren't forced into by nature but by man. It seems unnecessary and arrogant and reminds me of a similar discussion on here about forcing predator fish to eat vegan food sources.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Looking for an ethical way to feed live foods but interested in keeping bichirs on land…. Seems pretty “ethical” 😂💀

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
"In the case of the bichir, i believe this has been extensively researched already--by a great many legitimate institutions at that. The common theory is that they evolved their abilities as a response to periodic drought. I think the jurys still out for why the tetrapods ultimately decided to walk on land but i dont think it was analogous at all to bichirs and i dont think it happened all of the sudden either. The best you can get away with is that they may have shared a common ancestor which is all but concluded at this point anyway."

So my idea is more specifically about using this as a method to show a water-land transition, just like the Belyaev Foxes and the wolf-dog transition, it's an analogue, with the bonus of being really cool, imagine keeping a bichir in an ultra shallow setup, where it crosses a little sandbar to move between sections of the setup. Just like how some people keep Belyaev foxes as pets.
I just dont see what it would prove as far as the water-land transition goes. The fish would almost certainly try to crawl between puddles trying to find a more suitable environment. Highly unlikely its going to pitch a tent and camp out on the beach all of the sudden just cause it cant find a good home.

Now, if you were to create an expansive paludarium where the fish would have access to some "land" as well as having a safe and hospitable aquatic environment to live in (not just "ultra-shallow" puddles) then you might be onto something. Observing the fish traveling on land voluntarily for some other reason besides imminent death by dehydration would be a good start imo...if it ever happened. Plus this way everyone doesnt get all pissy about fish torture and whatnot.

Zmouvek

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2022
Looking for an ethical way to feed live foods but interested in keeping bichirs on land…. Seems pretty “ethical” 😂💀
One is lifestock servicing, the other is science
It's a more ethical idea than what the Mexicans did in their study, repeatedly cutting the bichir's pectoral fins off with nail clippers to see how they regrow, I just think it would be a cool science experiment, and it's not like keeping bichirs in a land setup, where they are always moist, is highly unethical. There is no active torture going on, maybe some environmental stress.

Reactions: AR1

Zmouvek

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2022
I just dont see what it would prove as far as the water-land transition goes. The fish would almost certainly try to crawl between puddles trying to find a more suitable environment. Highly unlikely its going to pitch a tent and camp out on the beach all of the sudden just cause it cant find a good home.

Now, if you were to create an expansive paludarium where the fish would have access to some "land" as well as having a safe and hospitable aquatic environment to live in (not just "ultra-shallow" puddles) then you might be onto something. Observing the fish traveling on land voluntarily for some other reason besides imminent death by dehydration would be a good start imo...if it ever happened. Plus this way everyone doesnt get all pissy about fish torture and whatnot.
Kinda what im talking about, a small paludarium, with water ranging between 2 Cm deep and 2 MM Deep, kept very humid, these bichirs would live their lives, then would be tested in their walking abilities, the most successful would then breed.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Most bichirs stand taller than 2 cm full grown - 2 cm deep is hardly a suitable environment and even smaller than a “small puddle.” 2 mm and you might as well not even have water
You basically missed everything Backfromthedead Backfromthedead stated, which was a large pauladarium with a natural shoreline fish could choose to go on (which they wouldn’t unless absolutely forced to).

The experiment you’re talking about would work if you had a few million years to spare and tinker with evolution, but most people don’t really have that ability.
This whole thing requires a gradual change that animals evolve to respond to, not being tossed into an inhospitable environment and being asked to survive.

Zmouvek

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2022
Most bichirs stand taller than 2 cm full grown - 2 cm deep is hardly a suitable environment and even smaller than a “small puddle.” 2 mm and you might as well not even have water
You basically missed everything Backfromthedead Backfromthedead stated, which was a large pauladarium with a natural shoreline fish could choose to go on (which they wouldn’t unless absolutely forced to).

The experiment you’re talking about would work if you had a few million years to spare and tinker with evolution, but most people don’t really have that ability.
This whole thing requires a gradual change that animals evolve to respond to, not being tossed into an inhospitable environment and being asked to survive.
Well I pulled the 2MM directly from the methodolgy of the Standen Study, I was just thinking 2CM sounded like a round number it is 10 times that! not one for metric! In inches, I would think a good depth would be something about 4-5 Inches, a poultry amount, but still enough for a bichir to be comfy, then in other areas it thins out to 2MM, so the bichirs spend alot of time on land.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
In the case of this proposed experimental paludarium, i would want to replicate pools of different depths, between a few inches and a couple feet. You should also be able to control the water level so you could choose to inundate the entire tank or reduce the water level to expose the various isthmus between the pools. In a suitably large enclosure you should be able to observe the fishes behavior dependent on water level.

In my honest opinion it wouldnt be worth the effort though. Im pretty sure the bichirs would almost certainly favor the deeper, darker parts of the tank nearly all of the time and you would see very little voluntary treks across the desert. Im not very experienced with them though. Could be fun if youre a diehard bichir fan and have the time and resources to set something like that up.

Reactions: Cal Amari

Zmouvek

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2022
In the case of this proposed experimental paludarium, i would want to replicate pools of different depths, between a few inches and a couple feet. You should also be able to control the water level so you could choose to inundate the entire tank or reduce the water level to expose the various isthmus between the pools. In a suitably large enclosure you should be able to observe the fishes behavior dependent on water level.

In my honest opinion it wouldnt be worth the effort though. Im pretty sure the bichirs would almost certainly favor the deeper, darker parts of the tank nearly all of the time and you would see very little voluntary treks across the desert. Im not very experienced with them though. Could be fun if youre a diehard bichir fan and have the time and resources to set something like that up.
Sadly I am the former only, and have not the latter. :C

Reactions: Backfromthedead
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store