MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
Auburn, Alabama
Thanks for the kind words!

yama said:
Where did u find???
I caught them in Uruguay.

Peanut_Power said:
Wow, was your tank actually outside? How did you manage to drop it down so low?
The tank was on an outside wall in my fish room. I turned the heat off in the room and kept the door closed a lot LOL.

The pair bond is back 100%. I think I have a reasonable shot (fingers crossed).

Ed

edburress

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
Auburn, Alabama
I havent had a chance to take pictures, but I took this short video since I haven't updated in a while. This is their temporary "summer" setup. As soon as I empty a growout tank, I will move the Satanoperca and hope to add some huge tetra of some kind. I tried to combine my two pairs of minuano but all out war ensued, so I kept this pair (the passive pair) with the celidos. It's unfortunate because they have a really nice pair-bond, but I can't imagine they will breed amongst the celidos.

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/...elidochilus/?action=view&current=MOV08780.mp4

5 C. celidochilus (2f/3m)
2 minuano (1m/1f)

Cheers,
Ed

Well here is one picture, just to make it more interesting (the male that's too big to combine with the ones in the above video)...

abarilot

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
By the Beach!
Looking good Ed! How’s the aggression with the 2f/3m setup? I still have yet to have any major aggression between my 4 but they are still young and the water is in the low 70s. The only aggression I’ve seen has been between the dominate celido (female I think?) and a male saxatilis. And even that is kind of mild, mostly flaring and the occasional liplock.

Btw how many do you have these days? Oh and any luck breeding the minuano?

edburress

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
Auburn, Alabama
Thanks guys!

abarilot... not much aggression between the celidos. The dominate pair keep everyone in their place so it's actually well balanced right now. The two smaller males are growing fast though, so when they're the same size as the dominate one, it might be back to chaos for a while LOL. Glad to hear you aren't having any aggression issues. IME females usually rule unless there's a large size discrepancy.

I haven't had too much luck with the minuano. The pair that's with the celidos get on really well, but I don't think they could breed with the celidos as tankmakes. The minuano pair that I have isolated with some balzanii don't get along very well (too big of size discrepnacy I think). Maybe after the male grows some, it will be different.

Ed

edburress

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
Auburn, Alabama
Temperature is up to 77º and temperament and colors are flaring! It was complete war yesterday (with no real injuries). Lots of courting and displaying between the dominant pair. Here are two still shots I saved from a video, so they are very poor quality but 100% unedited. These are the sub-dominant female and sub-dominant male.

And here is a video of them flaring at one another (before the all out battle).

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/...elidochilus/?action=view&current=MOV09035.mp4

I am going to add more rocks and caves to create additional site breaks and retreats for the subdominant fish. But I think it's a good sign overall that they might be interested in breeding (fingers-crossed!).

Cheers,
Ed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store