crocidile gar

Plowed

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Agreed....there are no known official growth data charts. On top of that they, don't know whether males or females have the growth inhibitor gene. A male lion and female tiger can have a liger that will have no growth inhibitor and continue to grow until its death, whereas a male tiger and female lion will have a relatively smallish hybrid offspring.

If anyone has any info with regard to this, feel free to post as I'm sure we'd all like to know :)

phoenixx

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2006
USA
cool, i dont see too many of those around my part of the woods

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
As stated 'crocodile Gar' is a (Florida x alligator hybrid) the picture above is an alligator gars these grow to a very large size (The rod and reel world record alligator gar weighed 290 lb)about a size of 3 m (10 ft),"The crocodile gar", it is uncertain of how large it will grow but as both parents grow to over 5(ish) feet it can be assumed it will grow at least as large.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
stotty;546357; said:
As stated 'crocodile Gar' is a (Florida x alligator hybrid) the picture above is an alligator gars these grow to a very large size (The rod and reel world record alligator gar weighed 290 lb)about a size of 3 m (10 ft),"The crocodile gar", it is uncertain of how large it will grow but as both parents grow to over 5(ish) feet it can be assumed it will grow at least as large.
There are actually different flavors of "The crocodile gar" than Flordia x gator which makes this difficult to predict..Captivity also generally results in fish smaller than wild fish.

I doubt any of the few existing Croc gars will reach above 3 foot. Honestly it would be interesting to know but given the fact only a handful are still around I doubt anyone will ever know unless these fish are produced again. One or two fishes max size will be known eventually (10 years or so) but one or two fish will not give a full indication of eventual max size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store