Cryptoheros altoflavus and HRP's

GrantA94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
cumbria
I have recieved some HRP fry and I am wanting to know how is best to sex them? Is it easiest to vent or are there any distinguishable physical features? As I say they are still fry ~1" at best but they are starting to develop their blues.

I also have the chance of getting two Alto's advertised as male and female. I would like to know again if there is any way of visually sexi g them to ensure a pair.

Thanks.

nutty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
United Kingdom
Grant, C. altoflavus are sexed the same way as C.nanoluteus, females display a dorsal blotch, males don't. You can see this in the photos Sean supplied you.

May ask where you're getting the altos from?
Young were given to many hobbyists in the UK last October, they are supplied by a guy from Belgium. These are one of the only aquarium populations left, the parents were collected by the late Jean-Claude Nourissat! The same fish were donated to Rusty Wessel for the C.A.R.E.S programe a couple of years ago when he visited the UK. I don't know if he was successful raising and spawning them?

Lee.

GrantA94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2011
cumbria
Thanks Lee. I know I have no reason to distrust Sean. I just wanted to be sure! Any info on sexing the HRP's?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store