ctenopoma?

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Hey im wondering if its okay to house a adult ctenopoma for life in a 30cm high tank.
I was thinking about searching for a better home but now that he is in the tank im starting to rethink it.
So most of the day he spent in this little wooden house. Its about 12cm high and he doesnt really fit in it. he literally lift the house if he doesnt stay in horizontal. He keeps going in and chilling there do...

0.jpg

So now he is staying in a 10cm house that doesnt fit. I am wondering if 30cm high tank is enough. Since he choses to stay in an even less higher place.

What do you guys think? would i be able to house it in a 30cm tank?

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
probably not.I would recommend at least 40 cm high tank for an adult ctenopoma.This robust fish are 17 cm long...

Reactions: dr exum

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
probably not.I would recommend at least 40 cm high tank for an adult ctenopoma.This robust fish are 17 cm long...
17?
Mine is one of the biggest i have ever seen and its around 15 . normally they get stuck around 13cm?
(hes around 5/6 years old so hes not gone grow anymore) the tank is long enough or has enough surface.
But you think that 30cm isnt high enough for the fish?

if yours is 17 i would love to see pictures.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Ideally a 45 cm tall tame would be great but they are ambush predators and don’t move much. The one I owned only moved when there was food so I would say you can keep it in a 30 cm high tank but upgrade if you get the chance
def dont get the change coming two years. It was in a 2meter tank and this is the downgreat. Luckily i get to keep my smaller bichirs and some other cool oddballs. Sadly had to give away my big bichirs, silver dollars, 14 year old bullhead, frogs, geckos etc...

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
So im keeping it i think. What i hear here sounds like its sort of fine to keep it.
for the time being.
If i find someone with an african biotope i will give him away. Thanks.

Would love to see the big ctenopoma still. share it if u find it pls

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
those gouramis do.. they are giants for blue gouramis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store