Cuba holiday

hamster

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
Ipswich England
get lots of pics of the cubanitas and share
Not sure how I would run that past my girlfriend but I like the way you think.

I leave tomorrow and yesterday my jewel cichlids (who I thought where both female and too young) are now guarding and fanning new eggs. Great timing by them.

doyboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
essex uk
Not sure how I would run that past my girlfriend but I like the way you think.

I leave tomorrow and yesterday my jewel cichlids (who I thought where both female and too young) are now guarding and fanning new eggs. Great timing by them.
Great timing, isnt that always the way

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselfool

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
Barrie On Canada
I have been there many times, in fact I'm going back in 4 weeks and this will be my 4th trip down there in just over a year. I started going there about 18 years ago and have learned alot since then. IE: Don't buy cigars off anybody on the beach or street. No matter what they tell you, they are crap. Only buy from stores. Don't even think about trying to buy weed, of any other party favours. This place isn't like any of the other Caribbean counties where every 2nd person is trying to sell you weed or cocaine. Remember, the secret police are very much alive and well in this country. Don't bother with american money. Just take your Brit. pounds and exchange it at the hotel or airport. Cuba no longer uses US dollars as a base for their currency. They now use CUC (Cuban Convertable Pesos) for the tourists. These can be spent anywhere that regular Cuban pesos can be spent. Right now the exchange rate for CUC to Canadian dollars is right around 1 for 1. In March I believe I was paying around $1.04 Can for 1 CUC. If you are staying at an all-incl. resort, which I'm guessing you are, a peseo tip here and there goes a long way. It's really amazing how some people get really upset when I seem to get my drinkis a little quicker than them at the all-incl bar. LOL. Unlike most other caribbean countries, you will feel real safe there, even out at night. Crime rate is very low (in my expearence) as most locals are VERY afraid of the police. But thats not to say "don't use your head while having a few cocktails and being out at night". Ican't think of anything else right now, but if you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask. I'm no self proclaimed expert on Cuba, just a guy thats been around. Hope this helps.
Al

hamster

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
Ipswich England
I have been there many times, in fact I'm going back in 4 weeks and this will be my 4th trip down there in just over a year. I started going there about 18 years ago and have learned alot since then. IE: Don't buy cigars off anybody on the beach or street. No matter what they tell you, they are crap. Only buy from stores. Don't even think about trying to buy weed, of any other party favours. This place isn't like any of the other Caribbean counties where every 2nd person is trying to sell you weed or cocaine. Remember, the secret police are very much alive and well in this country. Don't bother with american money. Just take your Brit. pounds and exchange it at the hotel or airport. Cuba no longer uses US dollars as a base for their currency. They now use CUC (Cuban Convertable Pesos) for the tourists. These can be spent anywhere that regular Cuban pesos can be spent. Right now the exchange rate for CUC to Canadian dollars is right around 1 for 1. In March I believe I was paying around $1.04 Can for 1 CUC. If you are staying at an all-incl. resort, which I'm guessing you are, a peseo tip here and there goes a long way. It's really amazing how some people get really upset when I seem to get my drinkis a little quicker than them at the all-incl bar. LOL. Unlike most other caribbean countries, you will feel real safe there, even out at night. Crime rate is very low (in my expearence) as most locals are VERY afraid of the police. But thats not to say "don't use your head while having a few cocktails and being out at night". Ican't think of anything else right now, but if you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask. I'm no self proclaimed expert on Cuba, just a guy thats been around. Hope this helps.
Al
that's great advice thanks for the info it will help alot. I am all inc at my hotel and was unsure how much to take so I was going to change £100 when I got their and keep the rest in travellers checks until needed. Are there any sights or activities you would recommend. Once again thanks for the great advice.

Dieselfool

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
Barrie On Canada
that's great advice thanks for the info it will help alot. I am all inc at my hotel and was unsure how much to take so I was going to change £100 when I got their and keep the rest in travellers checks until needed. Are there any sights or activities you would recommend. Once again thanks for the great advice.
There will most likely be a tour rep. somewhere in the hotel lobby. Go have a chat with him/her. They usualy have a binder with all the excusions listed with pics and prices. Last Dec. we tried the deep sea fishing, or in my case, deep sea vomiting...lol. With 6 of us it was only $50 each for 4 hours. At the end we each threw in $5 for a tip for the captin and his mate. Remember...all these people down there work for next to nothing and any, even small tips are much appecated. This was on a 36' cruiser with all the beer and snacks incl. You can also rent cars or scooters as well. The cost is usualy around $24 a day for scooters, or about $20 a day if you rent for 3 days or more. In my opinion this is the best way to get out and about and see the sites. Also take note, drive/ride on the right side of the road, or your gonna die. LOL.
Al.

hamster

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
Ipswich England
Thanks for the info it's priceless. Are they funny about writing on money when you change it over.

Dieselfool

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
Barrie On Canada
Thanks for the info it's priceless. Are they funny about writing on money when you change it over.
They are very priticular about the money they exchange. If one of your bills has even a very small rip in it they will not take it. As far as writing on it goes....good luck. LOL. It's funny cause here in Canada you could rip a paper note right in half and and Scotch tape it back together and as long as the to serial numbers on each end of the bill are the same, you can use it pretty much anywhere, even a bank will exchange it for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store