Cuban and Tropical gar hybrid

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
H]-[H;7050208 said:
What does a juvenile cuban gar look like? I was thinking of getting one and wanted to be sure I don't get the wrong type of gar..
Don't have any to show you, if you look at the stickies in the gar and bowfins media lounge theres a sticky which has a picture of juvenile cubans.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Photos aren't great but they'll do, having issues with my tank since the hoods don't really work, one day one light will work, the next day the other one will. Also, my LFS has been closed for a few days so I haven't been able to feed any of the fish, the gars and rays have been battling it out more and more the longer food isn't present, the gars chose the dark side of the tank unfortunately.

IMG_0393.jpg

The gar in the picture above is a little unusual for a Tropical, but still looks Tropical. However, some of his features are odd for a Tropical (in my opinion) such as his head shape.

IMG_0396.jpg

The gar above looks like a typical Tropical, something I've seen and wouldn't think to have any Cuban in it. His fins are different in shape and color than the other gar as they are longer and they are not black (first gars fins are stubbier, more rounded, and show a display a black color.)

IMG_0402.jpg

Although only the heads of the gars are present, and the photo is blurry, you can see how although the gars came from the same batch how differently they have developed in pattern and in body structure.

If anyone wants to see any comparisons between them, such as a two pictures of their tales or whatever, I'll be happy to do so in order to finally prove or disprove the genetic makeup of these gars.

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store