Curing Driftwood

rugbyflanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2012
Canada
What should i be doing to cure my driftwood? simply soaking it for a certain period of time or actually adding something to the water??

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
i've heard that people just soak it in water for a certain period of time then you can just drop it in the tank but make sure that all of the tannin is out of the driftwood.

Turbotom92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Rzeszów, Poland
It's good to boil the piece of driftwood before tossing it in your tank. Also, when you're before you soak the driftwood, make sure to remove any bark, and to scrub the outside with steel wool or sandpaper. From personal experience I've noticed that this makes the driftwood sink faster, and it keeps your tank water clearer. The best thing, however, is to boil the entire piece for about an hour if you've got a pot that's big enough.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
make sure that all of the tannin is out of the driftwood.
I certainly wouldn't want to do that.
love me my tannins. and more importantly, to me at least, is that my fish do too.

It's good to boil the piece of driftwood before tossing it in your tank. Also, when you're before you soak the driftwood, make sure to remove any bark, and to scrub the outside with steel wool or sandpaper. From personal experience I've noticed that this makes the driftwood sink faster, and it keeps your tank water clearer. The best thing, however, is to boil the entire piece for about an hour if you've got a pot that's big enough.
I've never boiled my wood. I leave any bark on it on it as long as it isn't crumbling off. I even leave moss and lichens on it.
snails love moss, bark, and lichens.

as far as mine, I've rinsed it off. and on a few pieces that I had a concern for zebra mussels possibly being on, I let them sit in the sun for a few days wrapped in a sheet of clear plastic.

you can be as extreme or laid back as you want, rugby. all depends how you want it to be. I'd love to have another species of snail make it into my tank on a chunk of wood even though I've got 3 already. watching a dragonfly nymph grow out in my tank would be pretty cool too. the truly important thing to remember is to avoid cleaners and such that could be taken into the wood and released into your water.

rugbyflanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2012
Canada
you can be as extreme or laid back as you want, rugby. all depends how you want it to be. I'd love to have another species of snail make it into my tank on a chunk of wood even though I've got 3 already. watching a dragonfly nymph grow out in my tank would be pretty cool too. the truly important thing to remember is to avoid cleaners and such that could be taken into the wood and released into your water.[/QUOTE]

Hmm your talking about driftwood from outdoors! im talking about the real driftwood they sell at pet stores and i have africans so i need to make sure that it wouldnt lower the pH too much when i put it in!

rugbyflanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2012
Canada
Boiling make it sink faster? or scrubbing it? and i want to lessen the decreasing of the pH im not so worried about tannin

Turbotom92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Rzeszów, Poland
Boiling the driftwood makes the water already in the wood expand and it tears new pathways allowing the piece to take on water faster. If you're worried about the wood lowering the ph you can put coral in your tank, or crushed coral in a filter basket, it should neutralize the effects of the wood.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
if the piece you have will fit in a large pot,then boiling with release some of the tannins,i agree with using crushed coral in a bag in your filter-if your tank is africans.i would check the PH every few weeks to see that it is holding steady

rugbyflanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2012
Canada
Boiling the driftwood makes the water already in the wood expand and it tears new pathways allowing the piece to take on water faster. If you're worried about the wood lowering the ph you can put coral in your tank, or crushed coral in a filter basket, it should neutralize the effects of the wood.
will simply soaking it work aswell? i know it only lowers the pH for a certain time then it will eventually neutralize?

rugbyflanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2012
Canada
if the piece you have will fit in a large pot,then boiling with release some of the tannins,i agree with using crushed coral in a bag in your filter-if your tank is africans.i would check the PH every few weeks to see that it is holding steady
Okay thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store