CUTTING an Acrylic Tank in HALF!

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Unless I buy a CNC soon, I think a router and guides the most accurate tool I can use
Use a straight-cut bit. Clamp a straight-edge to the tank (a large aluminum level works well, but a straight board would be fine). Take your time and carefully reposition the straight-edge for each cut.

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
From the picture the acrylic does not appear to be an inch thick. An inch sounds a bit heavy even for a tank 72" long and 24" high. If it were me, I would use a circular saw with a blade for cutting plastics. Just tape off the area where you want to cut, clamp a rail in place to keep everything nice and straight and cut away. You can pick up the blades at Lowe's for about $8.

iwiied

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
denver,co
would you be able to provide a link to this blade?
From the picture the acrylic does not appear to be an inch thick. An inch sounds a bit heavy even for a tank 72" long and 24" high. If it were me, I would use a circular saw with a blade for cutting plastics. Just tape off the area where you want to cut, clamp a rail in place to keep everything nice and straight and cut away. You can pick up the blades at Lowe's for about $8.

Smertrios

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2007
USA
I don't know about growing coral fragments but from what I have seen they use strong lights and shallow water. Any reason you could not get a good effect by hanging a light down in the tank rather than cutting off the top? Alot less evaporation than a rimless tank.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
I thought the same thing, are you sure it is 1"? Most tanks that size are made out of 1/2", my 96x24x30 is made out of 3/4", but it is thicker than a lot of similar-sized tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store